1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

No One will believe this!!

Discussion in 'Tanning' started by hounddoggy, Jul 11, 2010.

1. hounddoggy

hounddoggy Member

I tanned a few buck hides from last season. They were tanned with jrts and have been in freezer. For kicks I clamped them to a sheet of plywood and left them to dry for a day. Fired up the weed eater!! I do landscaping for a living. I slowly went over the flesh side of the skinn with the weed eater on half throttle. NO B.S. !!! HIDE IS SO SOFT!! hIDE WAS TANNED AND IN FREEZER. I took it out and went to town. The edges are a little tough to get to but wow!! Today I oiled them and plan to weed eat them again! unreal how this works. You have to use a very heavy dia. line so it wont cut the hide. the string just slaps the hide. I dont expect yall to but this but it works! When ot dries i re oil and weed eat. so far so good!

2. RTF

RTF Active Member

LOL ! Oh god, you know I am going to have to try that on some of my own hides. Breaking in with a weed whacker ! Now that you dont hear everyday.

3. George

George The older I get, the better I was.

Just when you think you've heard everything.

I still gotta ask, How in hell did WEEDEATER and TANNING get into the same thought process? Didn't Ray Stevens have a song about a weedeater and a chicken?

4. RTF

RTF Active Member

I think it's more like how in the hell did weedeater and hide break-in get into the same equation. And how did pressure washer and fleshing fall into the same category. Somebody always thinking of a better way.

5. This is nuts...By the way,welcome back George

6. scpol

scpol Wholesale Bird Taxidermy....Fan of Mike & Harry

Do you know what diameter the weed wacker line was ??? ::) ::)

7. RDA

RDA Active Member

is jrts really a TAN???? ;D

8. AFWS

AFWS The lost Robertson

NO dp is ;D

9. coonhollow

coonhollow Active Member

lol, too funny buy hey if it works! did you complete your lawn chores also? lol

10. paul e

paul e New Member

hmmm
    im going to the attic to see if i can find my kids old rockum sockum toys
    you never know lmao

11. nitt

nitt Member

Um not sure but I believe breaking a deer hide is pretty effortless If it works on somthin a little thicker than that I would be impressed but not a deer all I do with my deer back hides is oil them after shaving of course place one foot on them and stretch them rotating the hide takes me like 5 min or so.

12. I guess it would work even better if you could come up with some kind of attatchment to go on the weedwhacker to 100% prevent cuts and tears, and cover more area. :D

13. murph

murph Member

Hmmmmm,
    Wonder now bout clamping one of those heads to a bench grinder or an ole electic motor ????? Probably same results without all the fumes and u can use it indoors ... Hmmmmmmm

14. Oh I hear the coggs a turnning

15. That guy on taxidermy tube will steal your idea and market it. He will call it the TASCO hide whacker.

16. Randy Miller

Randy Miller Active Member

I thought he IS the tasco hide whacker

17. RTF

RTF Active Member

What the heck ever happen to Miss TASCO ? No 2010 model ?

18. I was pulling deer hides off the oiling racks and one got sucked into the big box fan, so I had to get my lawn mower out to drag the fan into the driveway and I beat the hide with my weedeater and it really came out soft! So now I am going to tumble the hide in my dryer and see what happens next...

19. NOAH@aarrkk

[email protected] Active Member

GA
    While weed-eating the other day and cutting some ivy out of a chain-link fence I came up with the idea that a weed eater should work for fleshing a deer sized hide..........anyone ever try that? Seriously!!!

20. dktaxidermy

dktaxidermy I'm on top of the dirt; how bad can it be?

i just stake deer hides out and run over them with my manual lawnmower to break them. i use the power mower for fleshing. btw i use the riding mower on thes big ol' mule deer and elk.

njow who wants to bid on my oceanfront property in NM?

:)