1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

gasin birds

Discussion in 'Bird Taxidermy' started by shellwaster, Jul 12, 2010.

1. shellwaster

shellwaster New Member

i have a friend who uses white gas to wash his birds in yes,no, or is soap better?

2. Hoss0902

Hoss0902 I drink to make other people seem more interesting

You do not "Wash" your birds in Gas, you wash your bird with water and soap.

If you want, you can soak your bird in Gas after the wash.
    Soaking it in gas helps displace the water on the skin for easier drying.

I am a gasser.... ;)

3. shellwaster

shellwaster New Member

THE GUY SAID THE GAS HELPED CUT GREESE THAT WAS MISSED

4. RDA

RDA Well-Known Member

hes right... :D

5. lee tees valley

lee tees valley tweety luvva.

;D hey ron ;D lets hope george doesnt see that ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

6. SteveP

SteveP New Member

Just make sure you keep the open gas outside and away from buildings, use gloves, and put out the cig before hand.

I've only gassed a couple ducks, and didn't see a NEED to keep doing it. ;)

7. scpol

scpol Wholesale Bird Taxidermy....Fan of Mike & Harry

Here's part of the elite club your joining...lmao.. 8) 8)
    [​IMG]

8. I used to think that you didn't need to be a gas ass, but then I tried the gas. The first thing you will notice is a layer of brownish yellow crap at the bottom of the gas. The gas floats on this stuff. It ain't just water. It is in deed fat. And don't tell me I don't wash birds well. I use SuperSolvent, Blood eater and Dawn, first. Then rinse. Then gas attack!!!!! Try it, you'll like it.

By the way, I am the Gasass all the way to the right in Scott's picture. Smoke'em if you gott'em!

9. AOTaxi

AOTaxi She's a keeper!

10. gas will also kill any bug that remains on that bird skin after defrosting and washing in water with soap.
    and that's not a myth. ;)

11. SteveP

SteveP New Member

OK, I won't. ;)

12. Good because you would be WRONG!

SUUUUUUUUP AO?

13. SteveP

SteveP New Member

Hmm, let's see... What was that George says about " If the truth offends..."?
    We all know you are the expert bird washer, so lighten up.

It seems that most gassers must be sitting in Coleman fuel every time someone offers another way. Mud Creek was asking whether gassing could be used as a substitute to washing with soap. Other than being a dangerous, unnecessary step, there are other disadvantages to gassing, like residue and, especially for beginners that will usually take a little longer to mount the bird, having to constantly rehydrate the skin during the mounting process. That gas doesn't just take water out of the feathers, it takes it out of the skin too. If you don't believe it leaves a petroleum residue, put it back in water after the feathers are dry. Clean feathers will soak up water, but that gas residue sheds it. If it has gas residue in it, it should be in a glass case so it doesn't soil over time. All solvents, even acetone, leave something behind after the light ends evaporate. Birds do, in nature, have a natural shine do to the oil that they preen into their feathers. Gas will put back some of that shine. Just remember, birds have to clean themselves regularly to remove the dirt, skin, and old oil before spreading new oil. Granted, it will take years to notice an issue, but I hope my clients will be enjoying their mounts for as long as they like.

14. Rick RR GBirds

Rick RR GBirds Let's go kill some birds...I'm psyched!

Yea, and it will eventually kill you with one of 37 forms of Cancer it causes, but we're all going to die anyway right!

15. RDA

RDA Well-Known Member

:Dfor peties sake....the foam from your bird bodies will kill you quicker than gas fumes ::) ;D now quit trying to sway another team gassasser member...

16. I gas. I never used it for years because I figured it wasn't necessary. Once I tried it I couldn't believe I was wasting so much time drying a bird alone! After gassing and using the blower I completely dry my birds in about 5 minutes (except those thunderchickens!). Now I wouldn't mount any bird without gassing it! Still no substitute for degreasing/washing with soap and water, but I have also noticed some fat left in the gas afterwards. So gas away!!

17. SteveP

SteveP New Member

Rick, you are forgetting the most critical part of your argument... Only the good die young! None of us here have anything to worry about. ;D

18. RDA

RDA Well-Known Member

dont tell that to Henry Inchumuk... :D

19. redwolf

redwolf Active Member

Who's the funny lookin feller with the sign? ::) ;D

20. RDA

RDA Well-Known Member

dunno, but he looks about a hunert and fifty... :-\ :D