1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

How old do you think this is?

Discussion in 'The Taxidermy Industry' started by kharman, Jul 16, 2010.

1. My uncle gave this to me and was wondering if any one had a guess on roughly how old.

Attached Files:

2. George

George The older I get, the better I was.

Thirty or 40 years old. It's a paper form - likely Van Dykes or Jonas and seems to have the infamous "Blue Glint eyes".

3. Thank you i am gonna hang it up in my shop are they worth any thing?

4. coonhollow

coonhollow Active Member

worth a good conversation! and a piece of taxidermy history..

5. Thats kinda what i thought,Would this one be considered in good shape.

6. coonhollow

coonhollow Active Member

its not bad, id clean it up, at least it doesnt have a 1/2 inch lip slot. hang it up as a conversation piece

7. psycho

psycho 2011 WORLD CHAMPIONS!

don't clean it up though. Leave it as it is.

8. George

George The older I get, the better I was.

Richard Christoforo probably has a new one in his attic. I'd set it out beside a modern form if you're going to display it. Just be careful not to buy the old Van Dykes or Jonas style mold. Their first foam manikins wee made from the same molds and would look strikingly similar if you did. LOL

9. James Marsico

James Marsico Well-Known Member

I still have a few old plaster molds, they are in my attic now. I used to make those paper forms all day long. A really good form and mount can still be created from many of those forms although that one is poor looking.

10. Steve Rotramel

Steve Rotramel We got some radical rebels in this county!

Looks like it crumpled up a bit - maybe from the wet hide?

I've mounted on about two paper forms. The only one I remember for sure was a half life size buffalo, and it mounted up fairly easy.

11. Richard C

Richard C Well-Known Member

That was a poorer quality of the paper mannikins in use at that time. There was and is nothing wrong with a GOOD in anatomy and construction paper mannikin .
    The way the price of foam and shipping is going you may see GOOD paper making a return someday. Especially for you guys that "can't get that price in my area".
    And yes George I still have a few paper and fiberglass mannikins floating around and some laminated paper earliners. Still have some excelsior,straight annealed wire , jute tow and amber shellac used to seal the paper mannikins.
    When Obama and the progressive dems finish cutting the legs out from under the theroy of a free America, I'll still have the basics of life.