1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

What is the weather like in WY in mid sept?

Discussion in 'Wanted' started by kharman, Jul 20, 2010.

1. I'm going on an antelope hunt will be my first hunt out west(besides south Texas).We will just be west of Casper and camping was wondering how to pack.and if any of y'all have any private land in section 73 I'm willing to trade a deer hunt in Ohio.

2. jasonb

jasonb I think I'll keep her

Could be cold and snowing and it could be hot as hell, it has been a dry year so far so I would say it will be at least warm.

3. Kinda hoping for cold.any one have any land in that section?73

4. jasonb

jasonb I think I'll keep her

Do a BLM search for the area, there is more public land in Wyoming then most people realize. Most ranchers would be happy to let you shoot all of there goats.

5. What Jason told ya was spot on. You never know what it might do there in Sept. Most of the time in early to mid Sept. it will be cold to cool mornings and warm during the day but a storm could move in quickly and change it all. Pack clothes for both extremes.

First time I went out there I was in a restaurant eating breakfast and the place mats were like old newspapers from the 1870's. There was an article talking about the winter storms and how fast they came down outta the mountains.

They old cowboy said he was out in the north section of the ranch mending fence when he saw a storm coming from the mountains. He grabbed his gear, jumped on his horse and rode hell bent for leather the 3 miles back to the ranch house. When he pull up into the barn the front half of the horse was all lathered up and the back half was froze.

No that's a fast movin' storm....lol. But not too far from the truth.

Good luck on your hunt....you will enjoy hunting antelope there....it's fun.

6. James Marsico

James Marsico Well-Known Member

My son and I drew area 74 and we have taken lots of great bucks in most of those areas over the years. There is lots of public land, just take a good map along. Areas that are not public usually only charge 10 or 20 bucks per hunter to hunt, all you have to do is ask and get written premission with a rules of the ranch sheet from them. Most likey in September you will get thunder storms and then high winds, cold nights. October there can be snow and high winds or very nice mild weather, nobody knows and only visitors and newcomers predict it. The dirt roads turn to undrivable slick snot. Just stop and wait a few hours and the wind will dry them out or later wait till after dark and let them freeze so you can drive out. Take off across country on a four wheeler or your truck and you will piss ranchers, the fish and game and most locals off a lot.

7. bob wendt

bob wendt indiana, wyoming and kansas

one year I was doing predator control trapping in sw wyoming and suffering thru miserable 90 plus temps at 7,000 feet elevation. I wanted to get out before the first antelope season opened sept 10th as didn`t want hunters pilfering my traps or animals ( it`s a huge problem), so pulled up stakes and left home the 9th of september. the day after I left I-80 was shit down 3 days due to a blizzard. so, no matter what the prediction, take carhardts and appropriate winter precautions. it`s not common, but it happens. also once had a foot of heavy wet snow on july 4th, at the higher elevations.

8. bob wendt

bob wendt indiana, wyoming and kansas

shut, not crap. I feel like dumb bear in dances with wolves......

9. jorgy

jorgy Member

Last hunt went from 75 degrees during the day to waking up to a blinding blizzard. Got snowed in for a few days.

Pack for it all.

10. Roger Ralph

Roger Ralph Member

WY
    I actually live in Casper. Everyone was pretty much right on with the weather. As a general rule it's starting to cool down in Sept. I'll check on area 73 and see if I can make some contacts for you or I can give you some names. I hunt public lands, never paid to shoot an antelope, but I understand you position.

11. Matt

Matt Active Member

I to will be there the last of September just outside Laramie, area 41-42. Can't wait!

12. CWP

CWP Custom Hardwood Plaques

Ill be in the same areas at the same time Matt. Small World!!

13. RoyalOaksRanch

RoyalOaksRanch Royal Oaks Taxidermy- When Quality Counts...

Granted this was almost 17 yrs ago.. But in Laramie there was snow on the ground when my son was born :)

14. Heck

Heck Active Member

Is that because he was born in December or...????? :D :D :D ;)

lol

15. RoyalOaksRanch

RoyalOaksRanch Royal Oaks Taxidermy- When Quality Counts...

Nope Sept 22 :)