1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Question bout muskox. need advice

Discussion in 'The Taxidermy Industry' started by after the shot, Jul 23, 2010.

1. after the shot

after the shot N.E.A.T. Board Member

I had a gentleman contact me regarding having a muskox skin tanned for him. However, during our correspondences, I had told him that when he drops it off to me, he needed to bring the skin, deposit and tag or license etc. He said that he doesnt have any tags or license because he bought it from an Inuit hunter so he knows it was harvested legally. LOL. I then said that sine he brought it back into the state, he should have customs paperwork when he declared it coming back into the country. His response was "I didnt declare it". Now what? I hate to lose this job. but losing my taxi license is more important. All animals I take in are legally tagged or have proper paperwork. Help please....
    Thanks

2. James Parrish

James Parrish Tundra Swan...Its What's For Dinner!

I have this sort of problem on a regular basis. In NC, big game are not tagged, but must be called in and have a harvest # assigned to it that is recorded on the big game portion of the license. If the customer brings the specimen in while his license is still current, all he has to do is copy the # from the license to my work order. However, if the customer brings the animal in after his license has expired and been replaced with a new one, he doesn't have the harvest #. If this is the case, I have them record their license #. Sometimes, the person is what I call an occasional hunter. He hunts once every few years and does not purchase a license every year. In this case, they record their drivers license #. Sometimes, folks lose paperwork on their animals, etc. It is not my job as a taxidermist to be a wildlife enforcement officer. This is the reason I put a statement on the work order that the hunter signs declaring that they are responsible for the legality of the harvest. If I know an animal was killed illegally, I will not accept it, but I am not going to make everyone that brings a specimen in prove its legal either. That's why we have law enforcement....

3. jtcjr

jtcjr Member

NC
    My opinion its here illegally if it hasn't cleared customs. Sounds like a you better steer clear

4. George

George The older I get, the better I was.

Thank God Delaware doesn't make me wipe their ass on things like this. YOUR best bet however, is to contact your F&W people and get THEIR ruling. I've gotten muskox from Alaska and only needed the hunter's name, address and phone number to keep legal here. It sounds as if your customer is going to have to take his hide to some other state like mine to get it done legally.

5. You could just give him the phone number of a good tannery and let him worry about the legalities. It's not like you are going to make a lot of money on that type job anyway. A couple hundred bucks isn't worth the hassle should problems arise. If he wanted it mounted it would be worth the effort of running to ground.

6. after the shot

Its already fleshed and air dried. I require a 75% non refundable deposit on tanning of skins. My contract strictly states that I am in no way responsible for the outcome of the tanned skins. Sounds like quick easy money to throw a skin in a box and ship it to my tannery. Even if the hide comes back hairless and the customer refuses to pay the balance, I still made quite a bit of dough. Just dont want to lose an easy money maker.

7. jim tucker

jim tucker Active Member

Please delete this. Just say you make good money. You won't find a electrician posting that he just made $800 on a job that cost him $200.

8. after the shot

edited. Please edit the quote you replied to. thanks