1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Has hide been frozen too long?

Discussion in 'Beginners' started by Byte-Me, Jul 23, 2010.

1. Byte-Me

Byte-Me New Member

I have a complete, unmounted, untreated deer head and hide (eyes, brains, teeth, etc..) that has been in my freezer for the past few years. Very rarely do I take it out and show it off but when I do it's only for a minute or so. One day I would like to have a cape mount made from it but, I've been told that, given that it has been in the freezer for so long the only way to have it mounted would be a European mount.. Is there any truth to this? Any advice would be helpful.

(Marlin 45-70 - Nikon 3x9 Scope - 325 gr Hornady LEVERevolution - Taken with 1 shot @ 130 yards from a tree stand)

Attached Files:

2. Marc A

Marc A Beaver Creek Taxidermy

I had one in the freezer 10 years before I got to it, and it came out fine. However, that doesn't mean yours will be good.

3. after the shot

after the shot N.E.A.T. Board Member

I had a deer in the freezer for about 4 years . other than dealing w/ a little freezerburn on the ears, nose and eyelids, it was fine. Not to say that yours is. A lot of factors can effect the outcome. There are products out there to help w/ freezerburn. But you dont know unless you try. Are you mounting it or having it done by another taxidermist?

4. Byte-Me

Byte-Me New Member

I plan on having it professionally done.. What products can you recommend for freezer burn and is it something I should invest in / do myself prior to handing it over to the taxidermist?

Thanks for the advice..

5. No take it to a pro, do some research before picking a taxidermist.