1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

beetles

Discussion in 'Skulls and Skeletons' started by tom k, Jul 24, 2010.

1. tom k

tom k New Member

OK this is strange to me , I have a small amount of beetles , they can clean a coyote skull in about 2 days. Today I was watching them work and went to spray some water in the tank, when the water hit some of them they arched there backs and died. I take it they died because they have not moved in over an hour. Never noticed it before, is this common with beetles? Right now there going through a down time lots of adults a few larva. Dig down into the paper and you see larva. Thanks for any help with them dieing.
    Thanks Tom K.

2. wow that is strange normally after a mist spray they are all over it?was something in the water or spray bottle that could have killed them-high amount of chlorine in the water??

3. was the water cold or hot ? I leave my bottle by the enclosure so its the same temp as it. Are you sure they died ? I hit my bugs directly with my water all the time, they actually stop moving because they are drinking the water

4. tom k

tom k New Member

As of this morning they still have not moved. The water is normal well water, its been in the bottle for about 4 days right out side the tank. The weather is about 85 and humid. kind of nervous to mist them again. So Ive been spraying the tank walls. Thanks for your thoughts Tom K.

5. native

native New Member

I leave my spray bottle in the encosure on the shelf and have never had a problem when I spray the beetles. Tis a mystery.

6. tom k

tom k New Member

Ive had beetles for about 6 months now and have never seen anything like it happen. that's why I came on here to see if any one else had this happen. Thanks for looking and your help. Thanks Tom K

7. Maybe they're made of sugar.

8. tom k

tom k New Member

Well would you like to try one. Ha Ha Some that were sprayed didn't even move they just kept eaten.
    Oh well If you think of anything else let me know. Thanks Tom K.

9. Maybe they were dead before you sprayed them....

10. I think we have a winner.......PL Tannery

11. tom k

tom k New Member

They were very alive when the water hit them , they moved about 1/4 inch then arched there backs and froze like that. That's whats so weird Ive never seen it happen before. Thanks Tom K

12. tom k

tom k New Member

Toxic, Forgot to get back to you, it was the water being to cold. Put it under the light and now when I spray them there fine. Did some work and figured out that not all were dieing just a couple of them did, the rest started moving again after about 1 to 2 hours depending how long it took them to get warm. Thanks for your help. Thanks Tom K.