1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Aubrey's Back Skin Tan on snakes = GREAT!

Discussion in 'Tanning' started by CarlScroggins, Jul 30, 2010.

1. CarlScroggins

CarlScroggins Oct. 25 1985...It was a good day.

Aubrey sent me a sample of his back skin tan (Thanks Aubrey! :) ) and I just tried it on a red rat snake (corn snake) my son and I picked up that was freshly killed on the side of the road. Let me tell you this stuff did the job. It has been years since I have done any tanning and what I used back then was chrome tanning chemicals I got from a business that now history. Aubrey's Back Skin Tan is so much better than that stuff it don't even compare. In the past I have ripped snake skins trying to break them. This stuff make breaking a breeze. I salted overnight, then into a citric acid pickle at around 1.5 PH for 24hrs, neutralize to about 4.5 on the skin. I painted on a thin coat of the Back Skin Tan and let it set overnight to soak in and the next day as it dried I just gave it a little stretch or two everwhere I could see the skin drying and turning dark (this was about 1 minute of work about 4 or 5 times during the day) and that was it! It took longer to descale the thing than it did to break. I had almost no lost of color, and it has the same look, feel and quality of snakeskins that I have bought from professional leather companies. Here are some pics:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Now, I going to try it on a opossum hide that I used Sure Cure on as an experiment to see how well it will do for a re-tan. I will have in the pickle tomorrow.

2. Kerby Ross

Kerby Ross KSU - Class of '83; U.S. Army - Infantry (83-92)

Does he sell the stuff?

Does he sell the stuff?

Kerby...

3. bluetaxi69

bluetaxi69 New Member

when will he sell smaller quantities?

4. gunner62

gunner62 Gunners Buckhorn Taxidermy

W.I.
    August 16th smaller amounts become available, his phone # is 919-269-2254.

5. CarlScroggins

CarlScroggins Oct. 25 1985...It was a good day.

That's great news! Me being a small time guy I was wondering how I would be able to afford to get it myself, but if it works out for deer hides as well as it did on the snake, I may be doing a lot more tanning.