1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Fish Taxidermy lost a great one today

Discussion in 'Fish Taxidermy' started by Pescado, Jul 30, 2010.

1. Pescado

Pescado Biggest in 2011

Dale Cornetet is probably giving the Good Lord some pointers on fish color right now. He will be missed.

Paul B

Attached Files:

2. rnviper3

rnviper3 New Member

i am sorry to hear that. i always loved talking to him at the show. i will miss that. one heck of an artist with his fish.

3. My condolances... It seems he touched many both with his talent and his heart. He shall be missed.

4. 7-Point

7-Point Active Member

He shall be missed indeed. I didn't know him, but looking at his work and hearing about his skill and friendliness, sounds like a good man for sure.

5. dougp

dougp Active Member

My sincere condolences to the family.
    I only met Dale once in the early '90's but admired his fish work, his enthusiasm and cordial personality.

His legacy of fish art to the industry and individual taxidermists will be a testament to his life.

May he rest in peace.

DougP

6. Rick Krane

Rick Krane Fish Taxidermist/ Judge/ Sculptor/ Instructor

No words could realty describe how I feel just now. I received a phone call like many others had about Dale several days ago as his life was closer to finally being a rest and with out any suffering. The MTA is a family and an association perhaps like no other and for this reason I am a member and I will so deeply miss the opportunity I have had over the past 4 years to see Dale one last time! I first meet Dale back in the late 80’s and he took the time to tell me how bad my fish were and juts because I could paint that wasn’t enough… Some of the greatest advice I was ever given! The respect for Dale both as a taxidermist and some one I got to know is a deeply personal respect as I believe he was one of the greatest fish taxidermist I ever had the opportunity to meet as well as to see his work first hand. I’m juts so sad juts now to think that there will not be another time to share with Dale. I looked forward to seeing the many friends I have in MI and one of which was Dale!

My fondest memory was when I first Judged MI. Dale wanted to be my writer for the scoring. He and I went around for some time and he just listened and wrote. I couldn’t have been more nervous to be describing to a mentor and a personal taxidermy legend of mine what I know and thought about fish and fish taxidermy. In the brutally honest and direct fashion that Dale was so known for he looked at me when we were done with a section of fish and said to me the most cherished memory I have as a taxidermist… “You are a fare judge, tough but thorough and a most important you care about being a good teacher to others.” This meant and means the world to me forever! I have to add that once he said this he also said directly after I gave out to many ribbons and I was buying lunch LOL!

I got do something that I don’t think to many folks ever had the opportunity to do and that was get Dale to use an airbrush. It was so much good medicine for me and to other to have known Dale as a person and as a truly gifted taxidermist!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

God Bless you my friend and my you find a place near the water Dale in heaven to catch some great Browns! Now you will rest and be loved in many hearts!

Your friend and a great admire
    Rick Krane

7. duxdog

duxdog Active Member

Wow, a sad day for sure. But he is in a better place now.

8. Legend. RIP

9. hambone

hambone Well-Known Member

Good story Rick.

10. Jason S

Jason S New Member

My prayers sent to the family.

11. Jimmy Lawrence

Jimmy Lawrence Well-Known Member

Holy cow. I haven't been on here in a while ,and was very sad to see this. I have that steelhead picture with Dale in my reference folder. I looked up to his work like many people on here. Never got to meet him, but his work , and words of wisdom were handed down to me from others.

My best to his family, and friends!

Jimmy Lawrence

12. mammelman

mammelman New Member

well said and thank you Rick. Dale will be deeply missed by many. He was one of a kind and had a very deep passion for the wildlife arts. I am very gratefull and honored that he gave me the privilege to get to know Dale as a person as well as the legend he was. (and still is) The Biggest lession (and hardest) is the fact that no matter how good ANY of us think we are at the arts the specimens are not breathing. This is the challenge. to make them as such. (a fact we will never be able to do) All the "whistles and bells" does not change this fact. It is never good enough until this is achieved. Fishing with Dale on the river you were confronted with this fact every fish you caught. Look at this or that. "how can you ever reproduce this" was a question even Dale himself would ask constantly. I will always treasure these very fond memories of these times on the river, and all the talks (and butt chewings) we had about taxidermy and other things in life as well. May you rest in peace "Old man". I hope and pray you catch all those prestine browns you longed for. Keep watching, I will keep my promise and We will not let you down.............Your friend and humble student.....Kev

13. Perca

Perca Well-Known Member

I had the opportunity to see a number of his fish that Dale brought to the MTA Shows over the years. The closer you got the more astonishing the details got. He was a truly gifted artist, capable of replicating the smallest of details that make a dead fish look alive. I never knew if I shoud feel inspired to try to do a fish as nice as he did, or reconciled to the fact that I probably never could. A world class fish taxidermist if there ever was one. [​IMG]

14. My thoughts and prayers go out to Dale and his family. Dale was a special man and it was an honor to be in his presence.

15. Brian W

Brian W Well-Known Member

Rick's first Michigan judged show was my first competition and introduction to Dale's work. Although I never really talked with Dale, I have observed him and his awesome work in person. From what I have seen and heard attending the MTA shows, Dale was truly an icon in the world of taxidermy. He will be missed but the work he has done and the people he has touched will live on.....

16. DDavis

DDavis Active Member

My prayers go out to his family and friends