1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Skinning table ideas??

Discussion in 'Deer and Gameheads' started by Hedhuntr, Jul 31, 2010.

1. Hedhuntr

Hedhuntr New Member

I am finally moving into my new shop and am looking at options for my skinning tables. I was thinking about 4x8 stainless steel tops with the sides flanged all the way around accept the front and with the tops tillted a smidge to the back with drains in each corner. Next question is would you mount it permenatly to the wall or put it on castors?

Thanks

2. I wouls say tip it to the front, that way your work space is tilted towards you, and not away from you, which could be uncomfortable to work on.

3. redwolf

redwolf Active Member

Great idea. That way all the blood ends up on your lap :D :D

4. Hedhuntr

Hedhuntr New Member

He has the right idea though. I could add a drip edge and drain to one side.

5. Yeah! Don't leave the front with no edge, or you would end up that way. LOL! :p

6. Mr.T

Mr.T New Member

If you feel you need a special table for skinning, instead of the freezer top, or picnic table, make a table that is hinged to the wall so it will fold down when not in use.

7. Oh that's a great idea. . .

Maybe you could have it fold out into a sleeper sofa too? Then you'll never have to leave the workshop!!

8. any worktop will do..

9. Hedhuntr

Hedhuntr New Member

I have been using a formica top and its getting beat up. I like to hose stuff down and spray with a light water/bleach mix when I'm done that is why I'm going to stainless. My shop is an open setup and don't need any stink that is why I dropped the plywood woorktops awhile ago.

10. jibbyducks

jibbyducks New Member

I like T's idea of the fold away table. That way it won't accumulate a ton of shop crap and it will be ready when you need it. I use an 8' laminate counter top from Home Depotwith back splash. Its white in color so it bounces the light around my shop and cleans up nice with clorox bleach spray cleaner. I don't know about you guys but I haven't had a situation where I had a lot of running blood form a specimen to the point where I need a drain. I keep a roll of paper towels close to my flesh table for occasional seepage of fluids of all sorts.

11. tex4k

tex4k New Member

I found a couple of stainless restarant tables at Sam's club, they have castors on the bottom and a wire shelf underneath, and cost about 70$ each. Iuse two that way when I have something on the large side come in I can roll them together if need be.If they're not being used they can be rolled out of the way or outside if necessary.

12. My "skinning table" is also my work table. It is an "island" and sits 4 or 5 feet away from the wall. It is 4 x 8, enclosed on 3 sides, and the side that is open is where I store stuff we put shelves in it). One of the short ends has pvc tubes to hold wire, the other short end has 2 sets of mini-drawers attached for screws, hangers, etc. and the closed long side has hangers on it for bigger tools.

13. I use a shower base, secured to wall.
    Drain on one end and hot water on the other end, washes up real easy. If you use a roll around or fold up, would take lot longer to clean up.

14. no special table design here. But i do have a 4 inch hole cut into it close to one side lined with pvc pipe insulation. when i have head with excessive neck still left in there. I will stick the deers muzzle over in the hole . This points the neck pretty much straight up and allows me to skin out the neck to the base of the skull and cut it off. not having to hold it and skin at the same time is wonderfull. =works for me anyways. the pipe insulation is to protect the hair if your wondering.