1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Iowa deer tag gets sold for over $$8,000.00!!!!! On EBAY??????

Discussion in 'The Taxidermy Industry' started by Smittys, Aug 1, 2010.

1. Smittys

Smittys New Member

A friend from southern Iowa sent me a email that a Iowa deer tag got sold for 8 grand.Does anyone know facts about this???AND also there is legislation trying to get passed that would require non residents to hunt with state lic. guides. Is Iowa going to become the next Alaska for non residents????

2. SteveP

SteveP New Member

This is the state of Iowegians that we are talking about. ;)

I hunted pheasants there once several years ago. We had a good time, and shot quite a few birds. BUT, it was just like hunting southern MN. I never went back. I doubt they miss us, as we were DIY hunters, and didn't hire an outfitter, or pay for a lease.

There was lots of deer sign, and saw lots of does and a few bucks. Decent bucks, but they were just like the ones all over MN. I say, let Iowa have their deer!

Don't most states make their lottery tags "non-transferrable"? For some, hunting is all about "the money".

[sarcasm] With those rugged Iowa wilderness areas, I can see where a guide might come in handy. [/sarcasm]

3. Didn't know you could sell deer tags in Iowa. Maybe it was one of those "governor tags" that the hunting show celebrities get to promote the great state of Iowa.

SteveP - I am from SE MN. NE Iowa is rugged as hell. 600 foot high wooded hills and steep valleys. Not easy hunting at all.

Bruce

4. bill@hogheaven

[email protected] New Member

Hmmmm ought to make a New York tag worth $7.95.

5. one bid 8000 A CONSERVATION DEER TAG HAS BEEN ISSUED TO THE JOHNSON COUNTY HERITAGE TRUST BY THE IOWA DEPARTMENT OF NATURAL RESOURCES (DNR) FOR THE 2010 OR 2011 SEASON. 1/2 OF PROCEEDS FROM THE SALE OF THIS TAG WILL GO TO THE JOHNSON COUNTY HERITAGE TRUST’S EFFORTS TO PRESERVE LAND IN JOHNSON COUNTY, IOWA & THE OTHER 1/2 WILL GO TO THE DNR.

THIS IS A NON-RESIDENT IOWA DEER TAG.

THIS POSTING IS BEING LISTED FOR THE JOHNSON COUNTY HERITAGE TRUST, A NON-PROFIT ORGANIZATION. QUESTIONS SHOULD BE DIRECTED TO TAMMY RICHARDSON, JOHNSON COUNTY HERITAGE TRUST EXECUTIVE DIRECTOR, AT [email protected] MORE INFORMATION ON THIS ORGANIZATION CAN BE FOUND AT WWW.JCHT.ORG

THIS TAG IS AVAILABLE ONLY FOR THE 2010 OR 2011 ARCHERY, GUN, OR LATE MUZZLELOADER SEASON. YOU MUST PICK ONE SEASON.

THIS TAG IS GOOD FOR 2 DEER (1 ANY SEX & 1 ANTLERLESS). THE WINNING BIDDER CAN PICK THE SEASON TO HUNT AND THEIR LEGAL WEAPON OF CHOICE. THE DEER TAG IS GOOD STATEWIDE.

NON-RESIDENTS CAN HAVE ONLY ONE LICENSE PER YEAR. IF YOU ALREADY HAVE A TAG, YOU CAN NOT USE THIS ONE.

THIS TAG CAN NOT BE RESOLD. HOWEVER, THE HIGH BIDDER THAT CLAIMS THIS TAG CAN PROVIDE IT TO ANOTHER PERSON THAT DOES NOT ALREADY HAVE AN IOWA DEER TAG.

IT IS THE RESPONSIBILITY OF THE WINNING BIDDER **TO CONTACT THE DNR A MINIMUM OF 3 WEEKS PRIOR TO THEIR HUNTING SEASON SO THAT A TAG CAN BE MADE IN THEIR NAME. **THE DEER MUST BE REPORTED AND REGISTERED WITH THE DNR, EITHER BY PHONE OR ONLINE, AFTER THE HARVEST. **THE WINNING BIDDER MUST PURCHASE A HUNTING LICENSE AND PAY A HABITAT FEE ABOVE THE COST OF THE DEER TAG. HUNTING LICENSE AND HABITAT FEE TOTAL $122.

BECAUSE WE ARE A NON-PROFIT ORGANIZATION, ANY BID ABOVE $422 WILL BE TAX DEDUCTIBLE. THE $422 COST OF THIS TAG IS PAID FOR FROM THE DNR’S ½ OF THE PROCEEDS.

IF YOU NEED MORE INFORMATION ABOUT THE CONSERVATION TAG OR IF YOU WANT TO VERIFY THE LEGITIMACY OF THIS TAG, YOU CAN CONTACT STEVE DERMAND AT THE IOWA DNR:

STEVE DERMAND
    IOWA DNR
    502 E. 9th St.
    DES MOINES, IA 50319
    [email protected]

HUNTING SEASONS AND DATES CAN BE FOUND AT WWW.IOWADNR.GOV

6. SteveP

SteveP New Member

Hi Bruce, we met at the MN show this year, where I sat with you and your wife and the banquet.
    Yes, I agree about the bluff country in IA. I've also hunted the SW and Central CO mountain areas, where a guide is not required "by law".

My guess is that the outfitters are using the landowner complaints about non-resident abuses, such as trespassing, as fuel to promote their businesses through legislative means. In other words, a few greedy people are trying to punish ALL non-residents for the crimes of a few "bad apples". The good thing is... non-residents don't have to hunt IA. Do you suppose they will have an exception for non-resident landowners? These people may want to pay attention, as they are probably paying property taxes there, without representation.

7. Steve,

Like most things, it's about the money. It takes 2-3 years for a non-resident to get a deer tag in Iowa and they charge you $550. Even with that demand and those prices, people still want to hunt there. It is only a matter of time before the outfitters have most of the private land leased up. That seems to be the progresssion - just like Buffalo County in WI. Once that happens you will have to hire an outfitter just to get access to private land.

Bruce

8. My Cousin owned a farm in South Central Iowa as a "nonresident", he was never able to draw a tag to hunt his own land, and ended up selling his portion of the farm to his buddy. He bought a farm in North Central Missouri, a 15 minute ride from his Iowa farm, the deer are just as good, and he can hunt it every year. He tried the letter writing campaign, explaining that he was a land owner, paid taxes, etc. etc. but they don't want to hear it. The funny thing about the Drury's, Lakosky's and all of their "celebrity" friends that get governors tags awarded to them, to "promote" hunting in the state of Iowa is just a joke, because Iowan's don't want NON RESIDENT hunters coming to their state......so what is the point in "promoting Iowa" on Drury films ????? I have been sending for points for a few years, but because of the attitude against non residents, I am not going..............I will hunt Missouri.

9. Mirror Image

Mirror Image Member

West
    Bruce, I'm not sure if that was sarcasm or not, but 600' is like a speed bump. Would love to hunt whitetails there though.

10. No sarcasm. Most of Iowa is pretty flat. The NE part has really steep hills - for the mid west anyway. Nothing like the Rockies though.

Bruce

11. Smittys

Smittys New Member

I have hunted Iowa and have had numerous cliets hunt Iowa and Iowa isnt that great for deer hunting.15 years ago the average buck I mounted from Iowa was in the 150s and now the average is in the 120s.I have to say, if these so called hunting tv celebrities,if true about this foolish price for a deer tag,they are destroying the hunting industry!!! We should boycott these products that are endorsing these so called celebrities!!!I know I am going to ruffle some feathers with my commets but I would like to see some of the younger hunters have the same opportunities I had when I was in my 20s. I have noticed most places where these TV celebrities are filming their hunts all over the country are some of most overpriced places to hunt!!! I watched a show tonight from Bob Foulkrod (Goretex Pro Staffer) about Manitoba Caribou Hunting in the Nueltin lake area and remebered hunting caribou near this area 4 years ago,so I checked it out on the internet and I couldnt believe there prices,$9500.00 to hunt a black bear and caribou!!!!What a joke!!! I hunted this area for under $2500.00 with Miller Outpost and killed two 350 class bulls in 4 hours. I do know a a couple people that are on TV and the only way they hunt is if the hunts are free when they film and they wonder why people are not getting involved in outdoor sports?? Whats next $10,000.00 fishing Lic. for Minnesota on Lake of the Woods. We have Babe Winkleman an Al Linder fishing this state..(To The IOWA DNR): I will never buy a Lic. in your state again!!!!Good luck with your EHD or should I say,( Blue Tounge Disease) Southern Iowa ,Carl Johnsons farm??

12. dbl.thraot_patch

dbl.thraot_patch New Member

Iowa
    Bob, most Iowan's don't have a problem with nonresident hunters. We don't even have that big of a problem with nonresident landowners. EXCEPT, the nonresident landowners like your cousin!!!! Your cousin knew the rules before he bought his land in Iowa. He knew he wasn't going to be able to hunt his land every year for a buck. He can however hunt it every year for a doe. But I guess herd management isn't real high on his list of things to do. That is the problem we have with nonresident landowners. They buy land in Iowa and cry like little babies when they can't change the rules to their advantage.