1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Painting the Pectoral, Pelvic, and Anal Fins of LM Bass.

Discussion in 'Fish Taxidermy' started by 7-Point, Aug 1, 2010.

1. 7-Point

7-Point Active Member

These are what give me the most trouble. I just haven't figured out how to get them painted to look lifelike. Can someone help me with a schedule or at least your method? Thanks.

2. AFWS

AFWS The lost Robertson

Schedule= REFERENCE ;D Method= very little paint

3. ryanstraw

ryanstraw my first brook trout on a fly 13"

never did a LM yet (live in the mountains nothin but trout) but what I think would look fine would lightly spray golden yellow along the fins and slowly make it darker on the edges

4. hodx

hodx Herman Darr

next time you fish, start taking pic's of a fish you intend to mount...in fact take pic's of all fish you catch...especialy during the spawn and after the spawn....take close ups...a lot....build yourself a reference library...it will be a big help

5. 7-Point

7-Point Active Member

Trust me I've got the reference. Pretty much every fish we catch we take like 3 or 4 pics of if its nice.

6. FishWorks

FishWorks New Member

7 point where are you catching your nice bass?

7. 7-Point

7-Point Active Member

Here in MD we have several very nice reservoirs full of monster LM and SM Bass. Plus we have a farm with 2 ponds that pretty much only I fish. Also we have a secret place. So I've caught several nice ones in the last few years.

8. hodx

hodx Herman Darr

3 or 4 pic's isn't enough...take a lot of closeups...scale detail,etc

9. 7-Point

7-Point Active Member

I understand, most of the time we do a quick photo or 2 and release. But when I keep one, especially if I'm mounting it, I take several (around 10). The only reason I was asking about painting them was because I wanted a good place to start, then I could change it up for my needs.

10. FishArt

FishArt Well-Known Member

The only thing I can think of that would be giving you trouble with any fins is trying to get the depth. Of course as mentioned, use good reference. Make sure you shoot the fins at an angle with whatever color(s) at some point or another so that the paint only hits the high spots. This will give you the depth and a more realistic look. Be conscious of your overspray though and be ready to wipe some paint off the belly/etc. if need be. I sometimes use some cardboard "blockers" to help control overspray too...

11. shammy

shammy New Member

First off I give them a light coat of bright yellow on pelvic, pectoral and anal fins, Next I angle spray the pectoral and anal fins with black, Then I go back with red and put just a touch in the middle of all fins. Remember to use paper under your pectoral fins when doing them, then go back and touch up your belly white being careful not to get any on the fins. It dont take much paint. Less is better when painting. Sometimes I dont put any red on the pelvic fins. Just be carefull using the red you just want to verily be able to see it, you have to find what works for you, and have fun doing it,

12. 7 point, pick up a copy of Taxidermy Today 2010 mach/April issue .... It has a great paint article by Rick Krane covering the large mouth bass.
    Also Taxidermy Today 2009 July/August issue.... Has Wynia's paint system on a reproduction both article have great step by step pics. and are very informative.

13. 7-Point

7-Point Active Member

Thanks for all the info guys, not I do understand better on how to paint them. I was trying to get the depth. Thanks shammy for helping me with the colors. I'll have to look for one of those Taxidermy Todays