1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

My first fish mount

Discussion in 'Beginners' started by mc15, Aug 4, 2010.

1. mc15

mc15 New Member

Please critique my mount and let me know what I did wrong and can correct in the future. I had to do a closed mouth since I cut the esophagus pretty bad while skinning. This required me to alter the manikin I had.

Attached Files:

2. fozziebear

fozziebear New Member

Hey MC15, I'm in NO way a fish guy so I cant help you, but , if you post this in the fish section you may get more help.....or SOME help anyway. I would think after almost 70 view's someone would have known ENOUGH bout fish to get ya in the ballpark! Hope you can get the help you are look'n for!

3. Looks pretty good to me for a first attempt. I haven't done my first fish yet. I hope my first looks as good.

4. bassnbuck

bassnbuck better late than never

the thing that pops out at me are the cheeks....they look like you didnt stuff the cheek with mache then tried to epoxy over and do scale detail..the paint is alright just try to break up the bars on the cheeks a lil bit...also some gold tipping on the top half of the fish helps it pop alot...good luck

5. mc15

mc15 New Member

Thanks, yeah the cheeks were understuffed and shrunk up on me. so I attempted to apoxie them but it didnt turn out as good as I had hoped.

6. knapper

knapper New Member

Hey it looks alright for a first fish. You seem to recognize what you did wrong and thats good because you will know what to do on the next one. Check my site out for some tips you can use.
    .www.wyomingtaxidermy

Rick

7. Great job for a first fish! You've come to the right place to learn!

I have a couple of really handy tools for fish. I don't know if they even make them anymore. Seems they were called "Dan-D-Scalers" (there was also a Dan-D-Noser for whitetail noses...) At any rate, they are rollers with fish scale patterns on them. Came in several sizes. After applying the Apoxie Sculpt (or whatever you choose to use) you can roll them across it and imprint the scales. Pretty nifty tools! =)