1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

need advice to choose manikin

Discussion in 'Reptile Taxidermy' started by Valdo, Aug 6, 2010.

1. Valdo

Valdo Member

i have a western diamondback that measures 64 1/2 inches in length and 8 inches in circumference. I took the measurement while frozen and coiled. I only found a manikin that measures 62 in length. Will this fit?

2. redwolf

redwolf Active Member

I would get it and just add a few inches to the form.

3. pyeager1

pyeager1 Active Member

That is a mighty skinny snake for the length. ??? What if that 62" form has a 10.5" girth? Then more than likely your gonna have fits trying to fit it on the form. "Frozen and coiled" will give a false measurement everytime. Thaw the snake wrapped in towels in a climate controlled room and take the measurements when thawed. The girth will the same more less, but you may get a different length. Also with the thawed snake you can see if the skin is loose fitting and a larger circumference form may not be a problem. ;)

4. redwolf

redwolf Active Member

Good point Perry. I didn't think of that.
    I always have them measured, skinned and tanned before I get the manikin. I just freeze the tanned skin.

5. Valdo

Valdo Member

It does seem to have a lot of loose skin but I will thaw it and then remeasure. I looked over a catalog and the length does seam to correlate with a bigger girth. This is my third rattlesnake and I'm afraid to handle it too much since my first snake started slipping in the head area. Can I skin it, tan it with true tan, put it in the freezer, and then order the manikin? or will this affect my snake. I really appreciate your response.

6. Valdo

Valdo Member

After reading your response Redwolf, I guess I can. Thanks.

7. Valdo

Valdo Member

Ok it is almost completely thawed and now the length increased to almost 67 inches but the girth remained the same. The scales are stacked up tight and it does have quite a bit of loose skin. Should I just get the 62" and overlap the scales a bit?

8. redwolf

redwolf Active Member

I think if you order the 66"X 10 1/4" form from McKenzie (RS660) you'd be OK. It depends on what pose you want. That one is an open mouth coil.
    The skin will stretch quite a bit so you'll want to test fit it first and if it is too big just sand it down. Just don't over stretch the skin or it wont look right.

9. Valdo

Valdo Member

Would it be to hard to adjust it to a closed mouth?

10. redwolf

redwolf Active Member

Normally I would say cast one of the actual snakes head and use it in place of the open mouth but from what I understand you already skinned it ???
    You can carve one or just buy one. They sell them.

11. Valdo

Valdo Member

That was the first thing I was going to do before skinning but I was just scared of handling the snake too much. On my first snake I actually casted the head and it came out really nice. However, the head scales started slipping. I know the cause was probably due to other factors but I just was afraid of trying it again. I guess I'll buy a head for it. Thank you so much for your responses.