1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

I met the "LEGEND" today and then Bill Yox shows up as well.

Discussion in 'Training' started by DT10Sam, Aug 8, 2010.

1. DT10Sam

DT10Sam No flow no go!

Hi Everyone,

Today was a great experience that I will never forget I got to meet the Legend, "BLACK JACK" and the gate keeper Bill Yox.

The Legend
    [​IMG]

I had a great day today spending the whole day with Black Jack and other white tail bucks that just needed more attention then children. I have never been this close to live whitetail deer, and I usually see deer dead in my shop so that is the only time I was able to get any reference photos. After seeing Bill's mounts in his shop I now know that my deer mounts need improving. Bill spent an awful lot of time explaining the total anatomy of the whitetail deer and all along the deer kept nudging me with their nose to get attention as they liked to be pampered. All 4 bucks that I handled liked to have their heads, ears, and the sides of their jaws rubbed. I did not have to go looking for them they came to me and what a day, and my head is exploding with whitetail knowledge from Yox University.

I have taken quite a few pics that filled my 4 gig memory card and now I have the best reference material around and I will also post one of my mounts which everyone will agree that I need to now study my reference material as I am ashamed of the work that I have been producing. I have never used reference and now do understand the extreme importance of having reference and most importantly using it.

Black Jack I can not thank you enough for opening my eyes and your side kick Bill there did an awesome job translating for you. Here are some of the pics displaying how easy it is to handle Black Jack.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Well both bucks here are shedding their summer hair and Black Jack has started to grow his winter hair and well the other buck is going to have a cold winter.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Now both of these bucks in this next pic are in the velvet stage and you can tell the young one from the old one. The young one is sporting an impressive set of head gear and the older one well I think it is time the younger buck takes over as he is coming into his prime.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Hard to believe that a trophy buck will allow you to stick your finger in its eye.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This is my last mount that I will have completed without using reference, I wish that I would have listened years ago and spent proper time getting reference and actually using them. This day was an educating experience that I will always remember now I need to attend a Yoxathon to get some fine tuning from the expert Bill Yox.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Bill thank you for spending your day with me and yes you can teach an old dog like me new tricks. I left with a great deal of knowledge and was not overwhelmed with all of the information that you delivered. I am pleased that you are a chatty person and spent that one on one to make sure that I understood everything and what anatomically correct really means in my mounts. I had a great day of learning thanks to you and your wonderful creatures this was an incredible experience.

Best regards,
    Sam

2. Bill Yox

Bill Yox Well-Known Member

Sam it was nice to meet you and thanks for the nice things you said about the bucks. As much as these deer love to get their ears rubbed, a student would have a hard time NOT learning ear butt shape and ear rotation! I still have some dates open, and the shame of it is, once the velvet sheds and we wrap this season up, then Ill get the calls wanting to schedule, lol. In case someone was wondering, the bucks shed velvet usually around September 1st or so. We can visit them from behind the fence but nearly as effectively.

3. Bill couldn't help but notice the depth and thickness of those antlers...they look like tree trunks...almost like the deer have ELK antlers on his head...

are you feeing them Ray Scott grass???

4. That is one hell of a beautiful creature,thank you very much for sharing these pictures !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

5. psycho

psycho 2011 WORLD CHAMPIONS!

Ok you need to clarify that statement otherwise Yox is going to be swinging from trees beating his chest.... LOL

Seriously, when I see pictures like that I am very envious of everyone that has had that opportunity to visit Bill and his deer. One thing that is very apparent when I look at pictures like that, it reminds me of how bad I suck at deer. LOL ;D

6. Bill Yox

One thing that is very apparent when I look at pictures like that, it reminds me of how bad I suck at deer. LOL ;D

To me, its how both the buck and I look like we are in velvet...and once we shed it, he can still grow more.

7. LOL

8. Steve W

Steve W Member

ohio
    Hey Bill,
    Looks like you need to take a break from the Yoxathons and get that Bushhog out, lol.
    I'm with Pyscho, after seeing those live deer, I still have a ways to go, nice pics!!
    Steve

9. Bill Yox

Thanks! Yes, the real deals humble us all!

10. bobcat1

bobcat1 Active Member

Nice! Bill Is that your deer??,..... Never mind after I read the other posts looks like I answred my question.

11. neat to see the changes in his antler growth from year to year. He's got a few extra tines since the last time I saw him!