1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Best Fleshing machine for deer capes

Discussion in 'Tanning' started by Bo Hersey, Aug 11, 2010.

1. Bo Hersey

Bo Hersey Member

I would to hear some recommendations for what type of fleshing machine is best for white tail capes ?

2. RoyalOaksRanch

RoyalOaksRanch Royal Oaks Taxidermy- When Quality Counts...

Table or stand model its personal preference.. I have an eager beaver and far as IM concerned its the cats meow :) Have had it three years now, and have not had any problems, super quiet, easy to change blades, guards are adjustable, over all I give it an A+

3. Hands down Eager Beaver, the best there is.
    Steve

4. sid

sid New Member

s and s tool out of michigan John Griffith and I both have one , we love them!

5. Bo Hersey

Bo Hersey Member

what model of the eager beaver ? S and S has a good you tube video just not sure i can justify 2000.00 dollars

6. George

George The older I get, the better I was.

The Dakota Pro will do anything those others will, but at half the price of the S&S. And NO, I don't own one. I have a Rawhide and mine will do anything the Eager Beaver or any of the others will do as well.

7. Bo Hersey

Bo Hersey Member

can green hides be fleshed as well as pickled on the Dakota pro?

8. The best machine is one that has adjustments in all three directions and is comfortable to work with. After that, price and durability. Many to choose from.

9. hunterray2002

hunterray2002 http://www.finandfoto.com

The best machine is the one that you can work with.

10. gunner62

gunner62 Gunners Buckhorn Taxidermy

W.I.
    I've got the Dakota pro and really like it alot, Had it for over a year now.

11. I have used the pro too. Never had any real issues with it other than digging the fleshings out of the pully from time to time.

Me and Phil Hudson are brainstorming on how to convert lawnmowers, weedwhackers and various other "outside the box" lawn implements. Why just last week I had a blast with the sling blade and a 24" whitetail cape!!

12. George

George The older I get, the better I was.

David, didn't you learn anything from my experience with an ax. You can save a bit of time by getting prefitted with one of these inflatable "boots" that immobilize your leg. LOL

13. eb226

eb226 Member

Im new to taxidermy and I just bought a Dakota 4 its ok but think i'll save up and get a Dakota pro. Oyea anyone know about how many deer capes this thing will flesh before I need to get another blade.

14. joeym

joeym Old Murphey

I've probably fleshed 200 or more capes on the blade on my machine...which is a Dakota 5. Once you learn to tune them and care for them, having blades ground will become more and more infrequent.

15. eb226

eb226 Member

Thanks joeym

16. Timjo

Timjo Active Member

USA
    I have and am selling a Raw Hide fleshing machine. It was easy to learn and shaves down capes like butter. It is heavy duty and I'm sure will last many lifetimes. I gave up game heads years ago because I want to specialize in fish. I'll probably do a few more before I kick the bucket, probably my own monster bucks. Love being in the woods hunting Whitetails.
    Any way, If anyone is interested in a great machine look in the "For Sale" section.
    Thanks,
    Tim

17. Mark V.

Mark V. Chinook Salmon replica

I have a Capemaster by Arlington and I love it. Quick and easy blade changes and super quiet. its my 3rd and last machine I will ever own :), Mark