1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

First turkey mount

Discussion in 'Bird Taxidermy' started by kebees4, Mar 3, 2007.

1. kebees4

kebees4 New Member

Ohio
    What do you think?

2. Mike108

Mike108 Guest

Well for your first I'd say it looks pretty good! Try mounting it to a base angled toward the floor to help keep the feathers up. You want him lookin' blown up during the strut. Looks good though man keep at it.

3. Mike108

Mike108 Guest

I should have added angel him toward the floor to help the feathers stay up during drying.

4. kebees4

kebees4 New Member

Ohio
    How much of an angle are we talking? Head down type angle?

5. yeah i don't like the way the feathers look either.

6. kebees4

kebees4 New Member

Ohio
    I actually tried coppiny from a picture where the turkey is coming out of strut and still has tail up and feathers down. He is not in strut but coming out of strut and has lowered the back feathers and lifted his head as he looks alarmed.

7. Mike108

Mike108 Guest

Well there ya go, makes sense. Looks good man keep it up. You've def got the touch!

8. blkdog09

blkdog09 New Member

NC
    Looks good for the first go at it.

How "hard" was a turkey anyway? easier than a goose? ;D

9. kebees4

kebees4 New Member

Ohio
    I haven't done a goose yet. I have done some ducks and a pheasant. It was a lot more work than them (all day).

10. daniel

daniel New Member

all day it takes me that long with a duck i usually skin..clean..then make body and put together the next day so for a turkey all day seems pretty quick i wish you all the best with your next turkey DANIEL :)

11. trophy

trophy New Member

Try getting a cally morris turkey mounting video, there great. Also breakthrough mag. has some great articles with cally mounting turkeys in it as well. I mount alot of turkeys and dont have to put them on a slant now that I use calk in the back area. I also go back the next few days pulling the feathers up and arranging them until I get the desired look I want . Use plenty of reference and it will all come together. Good Luck.

12. Use a more alert head if he's coming out of strut and looking alarmed. Not a strut head. Nice first turkey.

13. chuck N

chuck N Guest

Trophy, were did you find a Cally Morris turkey video? A year ago he said he wouldn't make one until he turned 40. Now is he 40?

14. trophy

trophy New Member

Not sure where I got mine, but its a 2 part video If I recall. It might be a seminar tape I bought somewhere. I will look tommorow if I can find them your welcome to them . Message me to remind me sometime this week if I dont get back with you. I will also look through my breakthroug mags for the issue # and you can order one . They are great help.

15. HOLMES

HOLMES Active Member

I ask last year they told me he has none and no instruction either. He does do seminars, maybe videos there. Please let me know also if you find one.

16. trophy

trophy New Member

I will look first thing tomorrow if anyone wants a copy we can make some arrangements to copy it .

17. HOLMES

HOLMES Active Member

Very interested if you find it. It takes me one day to clean and degrease a turkey. Wire tumble ect. Then the next day until about lunch time I sew up body, position, and blow dry for ever.

18. AWT

AWT "Preserving all God's creatures"

I want a copy if you find it!!!!!!

19. trophy

trophy New Member

I FOUND IT!!!!!! A friend of mine has it, its a worlds show seminar very good qaulity. As soon as I get it back I will post it. Either I can copy it or it can be passed around as long as it gets back eventionally. I should have it by the weekened.