1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Best beginner Air Brush

Discussion in 'Fish Taxidermy' started by Prodigal_Son, Aug 13, 2010.

1. I have a little down time and am looking to start learning how to us an Air Brush. What is the most forgiving system to use for beginners? A second question would be what is a good video that teaches using the air brush?

JW

2. Jason S

Jason S New Member

Paasche H single action. Easy to use, Practice distance control first. Have fun!

3. George

George The older I get, the better I was.

x2 Used one for over 40 years. But in all honesty, if you have questions about how well you're going to like airbrushing, go to Harbor Freight and buy their $10 kit. Paasche is about 3 times that or 5 times for the kit. Then you can go to the double actions and save your single actions for glossing.

4. Todd B

Todd B Active Member

There is no need to post this in more than one section. You have a couple of answers on your other post also.
    http://www.taxidermy.net/forum/index.php/topic,227010.msg1600330.html#msg1600330

5. Yea, I got a little carried away, I knew the fish guys would probally have the most knowledge and didn't know how long it would take to get anything in the Beginners section...My bad...Apologies

JW

6. Todd B

Todd B Active Member

No problem here, good luck with your choice.

7. farikhah

farikhah really really want develop taxidermy in my country

I am the beginner, need that information too. I have gone to the website mention above. I'am afraid they can not servece me because my location is very far from US. I stay in Indonesia, but I will try to send email to the sales service centre. I hope I can get airbrush to paint my fish. Thanks for the informations posted.

8. Old Fart

Old Fart Active Member

If you are serious in your airbrush interest, I would suggest that you start with a double action. That way, you will spare yourself the aggravation of RE-learning how to airbrush with a double action......When you decide to make the switch from a single action to a double action. Been there, done that! Keep in mind that no single airbrush does everything. A detail airbrush will not have a tip large enough to allow you to do broad coverage work and vice versa. Whatever you decide on, make sure that you KNOW the tip size before you buy it. .20mm is a detail tip, .35mm to .55 mm would be a medium to broad coverage tip and anything over .55 is good for spraying gloss and "watering the lawn".

9. Thanks for the Intel gentlemen...

JW

10. farikhah

Old Fart, thank you. your information very helpful for me. I will try to decide my choice as your instruction

11. den007

den007 Active Member

I agree with old fart. I started with single action Paasche and still use it. However, there is a learning curve of "muscle memory" and hand/eye coordination required on a double action that feels very different. I used a cheap one from Harbor Freight and had good results with it. Heck, it is almost disposable at that price. Try Bearair.com
    They have some decent double actions in their Peak line......very durable and reliable. They can probably solve your shipping problems and are great for any questions you have.

12. Todd B

Todd B Active Member

This site is having a 1/2 price introductory sale on the Badger Renegade air brushes. You cannot beat this airbrush especially at this price.

http://www.innate.com/Tools/Badger/Badger.htm

Todd B

13. farikhah

Thank you very much, bearair.com and innate.com is very helpful for the beginner like me.

14. Does anyone know if the new velocity jet is available anywhere and what does it cost?

15. Paul B has them or I noticed they have them at the link provided above. $75 is a deal too.

I love mine. I use it 90% of the time.

16. I checked the link above all I seen on there was the regular velocity air brush, I'm looking for the new velocity jet with the smaller color cup