1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Novelty Domestic Cat my first project!

Discussion in 'Beginners' started by Crimson, Aug 13, 2010.

1. PluckyPossum

PluckyPossum New Member

Maine
    Sorry, let me be clear in that I have used straight borax on mice, rats and squirrels with great results. I haven't used it on anything larger than that. I'm sure tanning would be your best option.

2. redwolf

redwolf Active Member

I wont touch them. It's one thing to mount wild game, but people know their pets. They know every little quirk or expression that animal made and if you don't get it just right law suits can and have happened. It's just not for me. Yes the money can be good, but it's not worth the gamble for me.

3. RumRunner

RumRunner Nicholas Dugas, (337) 205-1269

I use DP mostly (for now, I'm getting into home tanning now). Skin it out, flesh it all. Wash it with dawn in a sink or with a hose- get all the dirt and blood and crap out of the fur. Then get it 100% dry, ideally using an air compresser. After that, rub DP into the skin. Then mount.

4. Icarus

Icarus Something Witty

Can you maybe get your hands on some roadkill? Great for practice.

You'll need to fully skin, including tail and paws, flesh, turn the ears, etc. I highly recommend the tutorials available on here.

It's tough at first, but it does get easier as you go :) I started out skinning mice and rats, then rabbits and squirrels, did a couple deer last season too. Just practice, practice, practice. Read everything you can and either take a class or buy a DVD if possible. The skills learned are invaluable and will make your life a lot easier.

5. bmdakk

bmdakk Report to moderator

wow a year old thread to the day

6. redwolf

redwolf Active Member

Way to go outwoods taxidermy :D

7. Wow.

8. PluckyPossum

PluckyPossum New Member

Maine
    Didn't even realize, with the date the same! Ha!

9. Icarus

Icarus Something Witty

I'll be damned :D