1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Frozen Deer head

Discussion in 'The Taxidermy Industry' started by D.Taximan, Aug 17, 2010.

1. D.Taximan

D.Taximan Member

What is the going rate for a deer head that has been frozen since December , It is skinned down to just behind the ears. It has an 8 pt. rack with 23" spread.

2. joeym

joeym Jeannette & Joey @ Dunn's Falls

Same as any other deer head brought in...$425 for me.

3. D.Taximan

D.Taximan Member

I'm looking to buy the cape not mount the deer.

Just wondering what the going rate is to buy this frozen deer head. Sorry for the con fussion

4. I pay from $25 to $40 based on size and condition.

Bruce

5. Michael

Michael New Member

I know most taxidermist around me offer 20 - 50% off the next deer mount the person brings in, easy way of keeping a good customer base. But if you would like to pay for the cape, depending on size and condition the go for 25.00 - 300.00 a crack. Hope this helps

6. joeym

Maybe I'm confused. Are you trying to buy a deer cape from someone else who has this deer in their freezer unskinned? If you need the cape, and you are going to cape it out yourself, $25 to 50 would be a plenty. They really should just give it to you to get it out of their freezer at this point. There could be some freezer burn after this long if the ears are exposed.

7. I trade even - I get the cape, they get their antlers on a plaque.

8. James Parrish

James Parrish Tundra Swan...Its What's For Dinner!

Unless it is a really large cape (23+") behind the ears, I would not give a customer that big of a discount....especially if I had to skin it. I had a customer bring in a pretty large order recently (2 shldr mounts, 3 antler plaques, and 5 trophymates)...I gave him $40 each off his bill for the 5 extra capes he brought me (he caped them out). The smallest one was 18" behind the ears. If I had to skin the head, I would basically offer to clean the antler plate and return it in exchange for the cape or maybe pay $20 unless it was a really large cape. If you're buying the antlers as well, the price on those is going to be determined by what they score. An 8pt 23" wide rack could vary in value from less than $100 to thousands of dollars depending on tine length and mass.

9. Cathy

Cathy N.E.A.T President

People just offer them to me because they don't want them to go to waste. So I clean the skull plate for them. I would offer money off a mount though, if they wanted something in return. I haven't paid for a cape in a very long time, and I won't because I don't need many. I'm also a part timer who does not advertise. The antlers included would be a different story...

10. D.Taximan

D.Taximan Member

I went and looked at this cape today. It was freezer burned bad and smelled like dead fish. What a waste !

joeym , I was looking to buy it for a remount I have to do for a customer.

11. joeym

Sad...but people let good potential taxidermy specimens spoil every day.