1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

First largemouth mount

Discussion in 'Fish Taxidermy' started by kebees4, Mar 4, 2007.

1. kebees4

kebees4 New Member

Ohio
    This is my first largemouth mount (reproduction). I still have some more detailing to do but what do you think so far?

2. Michelle_Nelson

Michelle_Nelson Bring on the Bears!

I think it looks great for a first Repo. I just painted my first Repo last night and need to get pictures posted on here. I am also curious to see what people think.

3. Cecil

Cecil Well-Known Member

Your change from the green to the white belly is a little abrupt and your cheek and gill cover markings look a little funny to me but if that is your first bass I'm impressed. I would perfer to see some darking scale tipping on the lower flank scales too.

4. kebees4

kebees4 New Member

Ohio
    When I get it finished I will put it here again.

5. Cecil

Cecil Well-Known Member

Yeah you did say you had more detailing to do. Couldn't wait to post the pic eh? ;D

Caudal fin looks like it's' drooping too. ;)

6. FishArt

FishArt Well-Known Member

I think it's nice especially for a first. I agree with Cecil. The belly transition is far too abrubt. The markings I'm guessing were stencils? Try doing your detail work with the airbrush vs. stencils. Stencils to me look like you used "stencils" LOL! I'm being pretty critical. Overall, a nice job...

7. kebees4

kebees4 New Member

Ohio
    Part of the detail was with stencil and part was with airbrush free hand.

8. FishArt

The horizontal line markings along with some of the upper body bar markings and the cheek "stripes" were all done with a stencil. Dump the stencils and you will be far better off...

9. Jerry

Jerry New Member

I dont do fish, but I think you did an excellent job!

10. fishmounter

fishmounter New Member

Mask off the pectoral and outside vental fin and spray your colors from the back toward the belly at an angle. You won't end up with that severe green/white transition and all your scales will be "highlighted". It will look very natural. Also that eye is just too flat into the head. Really that mount is great for your first bass. You should have see mine! I used a red marble for the eye too!

11. naturalcreati40

naturalcreati40 Active Member

Stencils are great. But what you have to do is use them as a guide. What I do is after my fish is "whited" out I use bro's and grn's to put on all of the markings, so when you start painting it is like a skin mount. Thats where stencils are great. You, very lightly stencil the pattern on and then you steel wool it so the doesn't look so pronounced. This works awsome. I'll try and put a photo on here eventually so you can see. Marty, have you tried it like this before?

12. FishArt

No, I haven't done the markings like that. Sometimes on a replica - if I'm feeling highly detail oriented, I may put in some markings via pencils prior to the paintjob. But, I don't see the harsher edge (a stencil leaves) on most LM's markings. Therefore, I do everything with the air brush. Take a look at some photos of some LM Bass and most fall into this "softer" category...

13. naturalcreati40

naturalcreati40 Active Member

Hey Marty, try it sometime. It works pretty good. I stencil my markings lightly, go back with steelwool and take the edge off. Then, depending on the photo of course, detail the scales inside the stenciled markings. I use blending bro to do this, however I've just started experimenting with grn's. If these are too pronounced I steel wool them a little. There you have it. Perfect markings without a stenciled edge. Now just color your bass as normal. Maybe go back a little later and darken the lateral line a little. But if you do your marking first then the proceeding yellows and greens color the lateral line naturally. Let me know what you think.

14. I like the color but the markings are a little off.

15. TrailsEnd

TrailsEnd Don't forget the elderly, the young and disabled

Practice freehand and I think you will produce better lateral line pattern and detail. Some people like the stencils. I don't. I've been there and tried that. I wasn't satisfied with the results.
    Chuck

16. Brian W

Brian W Active Member

I agree with the above posts. The white is too bold but you can soften that when you put in your vermiculations. As far as the eye, practice sculpting in the sclerotic capsule around the eye on your next one. You did an excellent job on your first fish though.

17. Cecil

Cecil Well-Known Member

I don't do brain surgery but it looks like the incision is good Doc!