1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

LongNose Gar

Discussion in 'Beginners' started by DM333, Aug 17, 2010.

1. DM333

DM333 New Member

I caught a gar and cut the head off. Then I put it in borax for a while. Now I have it sitting in a cage outside. It has been out there for probaly 3 weeks. Periodically I go out and cut most of the meat I can get to off. It still smells fishy. What should I do? Should I just varnish it and hope it doesnt stink anymore?
    Can somebody help me out?
    Thanks a bunch

2. hodx

hodx Herman Darr

sun baked fishheads usually smell fishy.....I would seal it good...if its flinty dry

3. DM333

DM333 New Member

Thanks, What would you recomend sealing it with?

4. DM333

DM333 New Member

Should I use some kind of sealer inside the skull itself. I read someone said use krylon matte finish from walmart. Will that work? If it does then can i pour some shellac inside because its a little thicker.
    What ya think?
    Thanks

5. hodx

hodx Herman Darr

dip the whole head in it...then you can be sure its sealed....after it drys, give it another coat.......then cover with a clear coat...

6. DM333

DM333 New Member

Thanks for the advice.

7. submerge it in a 50/50 mixture of denatured alcohol and water for a couple weeks. That should take care of the fishy smell. Then let dry and seal with envirotex resin.

8. DM333

DM333 New Member

Where can i get the envirotex resin at? or can i just use shellac

9. hodx

hodx Herman Darr

u can get it at a craft store

10. DM333

DM333 New Member

Ok thanks.