1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

neutralizing after lutan f

Discussion in 'Tanning' started by timstaxidermy, Aug 18, 2010.

1. Richbo

Richbo 2nd place is the first loser!

Just did a fox for a wallhanger the way that Keith posted. It is still drying, but seems to be coming out ok. It sort of upsets me that I had been doing things wrong all this time.

2. RTF

RTF Active Member

Knoblochs has always called for for 10% on the skin weight. Would like to get away with the 6%. Anyone play with the numbers on this ?

3. 6% will work fine

4. big.elk.hunter

big.elk.hunter Member

ok, so I know this has been discussed until you are all blue in the face......but we are in the middle of doing a home tan on a mt. lion. It was fleshed,salted, rehydrated, pickled, final fleshed, "neutralized" for 20 min, drained and put in the Lutan F solution for about 15 hours, is it going to be a decent tan, or should we go back a few steps and re-tan?? thanks.

chris

5. i agree with monarch. what is the issue?

6. Monarch Reply #8 on: October 10, 2010, 05:21:47 AM »

last reply on: June 26, 2011, 02:45:00 PM »

:-X :-X :-X :-X :-X :-X :-X :-X :-X :-X :-X :-X :-X :-X :-X

7. cyclone

cyclone Posts: 400001

Monarch asked for the "real deal". haldol changed it to "what is the issue?"

Pretty much the same thing happened to the instructions, Someone, somewhere along the line mis-wrote or relayed the instructions incorrectly...Perhaps someone should contact BASF to clarify. Their instructions have been posted numerous times.

Thanks for bringing this link back up...
    I must be slipping, I couldn't find it.

8. I think the term neutralize is being taken to out of context. Ok. If you follow the instructions on the container you will have tanned hides. Everyone is looking way too much into this, or being too analytical. We just went through this a week ago. I have never had an issue with lutan by following the directions. There are ways to tweek the process as Bruce Rittel says with pH adjustment. When you neutralize after the pickle you aren't totally bringing the hide to a neutral state, your at a pH of 4-4.5. It is referred to as neutralization but in actuality it is not neutralized. It is a step in the process that gets beat up. You bring your pH up to 4-4.5 in the pickle, rinse, and tan at a pH of 4. Throw an ounce of baking soda after 18 hours and your pH will rise to 5 or so. Then good to go. No need for chemistry, just follow the directions and tan accordingly. If you are second guessing the product then use something else. Let's end the Lutan chaos.

9. cyclone

cyclone Posts: 400001

::)

10. frenchydermist

frenchydermist New Member

Mark