1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

First rooster

Discussion in 'Bird Taxidermy' started by Daniel Callan, Aug 24, 2010.

1. Thanks to Tony Finazzio, your cast head and body worked out perfect.

You make it easy to mount these birds, now I want to buy some more roosters and mount them.

Any advice to make this bird better would be greatly appreciated.

I'll do some more high lighting in the head when I finish it up.

Attached Files:

2. What about the leg positioning. Is it OK, Should I put it on a bigger post.

Thanks

Dan

Attached Files:

3. Mount looks great!!! I am no expert but I use to raise show Old English Bantams and I have never seen a standing rooster with his wings hanging like that. The only time I have is when they are displaying to a hen.

4. George

George The older I get, the better I was.

I would have to agree. And I KNOW, someone will have a reference picture to refute this, but it's not "common" to see that pose. The mount looks great, I'd just fold the wings up to a "natural" pose.

5. Thanks Guys

I debated about having the wings close a little more , but I raised this bird and it stood like that a lot.
    I like the way it shows off the wings.

I WILL keep that in mind , I have a few days to make up my mind, before it starts to dry

6. alan webfoot

alan webfoot New Member

not to debate you but I think I'd rather show off those spurs rather than the wing feather's and it will look better

7. Nancy C

Nancy C Well-Known Member

I have seen them drop their wings like that temporarily, right before they crow, so if you like it that's all that matters.
    They don't spend much time in that position but I don't think it's technically wrong.

I like his spurs, too, though. If he's still soft enough you might be able to raise his front end some like he's going to crow. Pull his head forward just a little, too, so he will still be balanced.
    That might allow you to see both his wings and his spurs, especially if you can close the wings just a little bit.
    I think the post is fine. They hop up on things like that all the time around here.