1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Business Insurance

Discussion in 'The Taxidermy Industry' started by Trophy Specialist, Aug 31, 2010.

  1. Trophy Specialist

    Trophy Specialist Well-Known Member

    My current business insurance provider is being dropped by my agent so I'm shopping for business insurance. Who are you folks insured through? Especially in Michigan?
  2. George

    George The older I get, the better I was.

    Good luck. The major insurance agencies will NOT insure taxidermy BUSINESSES. They may sell you liability but nothing more. Today, I got an email of an agent who will be visiting state shows across the nation this comeing year and who says he will insure taxidermy shops. Funny that it's in Missouri with all this other stuff going on there. Here's the address:

    (636) 464 9200

    PO BOX 459 BARNHART, MO 63012
    e-mail Jerry Officer at [email protected]

    Don't know a thing about it, just C&P the email I got.

    BTW, the reason they DON'T insure you is because they're under the same guise that Paul Kantor is exploiting of the "hazardous and poisonous chemicals used to do taxidermy".

  3. Tricia

    Tricia New Member

    Absolutely. Jerry Officer is the one to talk to, he won't steer you wrong. I've known Jerry and Judy for a few years. They've been traveling to state shows for a good long time and were at the last WTC also. Good people with a GREAT reputation.
  4. Trophy Specialist

    Trophy Specialist Well-Known Member

    Thanks George and Tricia, I'll call them.
  5. Todd B

    Todd B Active Member

    Dan Steele:
    The Hartford. Reasonable and alot of coverage for a taxidermist

    [email protected]
  6. joeym

    joeym Old Murphey

    X2...Great people who will appreciate your business and are there to serve your needs!
  7. I think Dan Steele posted in the last month that the company he worked with got bought out and he is no longer selling taxidermy policies. After many phone calls to my State Farm Agent, I was finally able to get a policy for liabilty and loss of equipment for my home based taxi biz.

  8. Russ of V.O.W.T

    Russ of V.O.W.T my Ken Edwards moment

    Jerry Officer in the post that George created is as good as gold. His policies cover freezer outage and all, its as fool proof a policy as you will ever get, and its cost is less than what i had locally to start with.
  9. gab

    gab Active Member

    zurich has a custom policy for taxidermy shops,you can use zurich through an independent agent.i use the hartford for workers comp.
  10. nibjones

    nibjones Join your States Taxidermy Assoc.

    Fremont insurance is based in Mi. and have taxidermist insurance. They are also members of the MTA, if you are you will get a discount also. The name and number of the agent is Mark Lambert and his #269-441-5157
  11. I have the policy from Dan Steele, Hartford. Very good coverage, everything from freezer loss, theft, wages, liability ect..
    $550 per year.

    The only drawback with American Insurance Alliance, when I spoke with him last year was,
    they will not cover theft unless you have a alarm system linked directly to the police department.
  12. RoyalOaksRanch

    RoyalOaksRanch Royal Oaks Taxidermy- When Quality Counts...

    That is interesting to know.. I have dogs that work just fine... that and their owner is known for not being theif friendly LOL...... and not like I can link to a police dept without it costing me an arm and a leg...
  13. I called every one in my phone book when my insurance dropped me. Eventually I found one, since I am working out of my house she insured my house as business property - not homeowners.. then we had to get an additional tenant policy for our personal belongings. Also, be aware that when you switch companies, make sure your property is in order (railings on any stairways, good paint on exterior etc) because they sometimes come & inspect and take pictures.