1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

2010 Bird Hunting Thread

Discussion in 'Bird Taxidermy' started by SteveP, Sep 7, 2010.

1. SteveP

SteveP New Member

Well, I guess it's time again. Of course, everything is pinfeathered like the dickens. But birds are being hunted, so I guess I'll start it off.

Early goose season in SD started slow for us. We couldn't get where we wanted to the first day and a half. I'm still waiting for the last morning's pictures, but here is how we did the first two days.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Happy Hunting!

2. RDA

RDA Active Member

you suck Steve!!! ;) ;D ;D ;D Nice Job opening the seasons thread!! color me jealous... ;) :D

3. SteveP

SteveP New Member

Yeah, I know. :( ;)

SD has so many local geese that they also had a resident-only, two week, August hunt. We heard several reports of local boys shooting over 100 giant canadas during that time. There doesn't appear to be a dent in the population, but getting under them is still a challenge. In two days and a morning, two of us had a total of 18. Neither of us have hunted the early season out there, and also couldn't get out there to scout ahead of time. We did know the area though.

4. txoutdoors

txoutdoors Active Member

Early season teal this weekend for us. Got a pond with about 75 blue wing calling my name!
    Just hoping this storm stays west. Right now we have little water and the birds are concentrated.

5. NWWINGS

NWWINGS Member

Alright! Nice geese Steve! Here we go again... ;D ;D I haven't started yet, but September goose season gets going this weekend and I got drawn for sage grouse this year. I need to get out and start losing the extra pounds I gained over the summer. Gotta get back to "waterfowl weight" haha.

6. wingman

wingman Active Member

Pat Sage grouse are on a drawing system?????

7. NWWINGS

NWWINGS Member

In Oregon they are. They have also been determined as eligible for ESA listing. I was hoping to get out and hunt them again before the listing takes place if it ever does. I have applied several times. This is the second time I've been drawn. I'll be driving east and probably only going once or twice over the nine day September season. Whatever I find will be loaded with pin feathers, but I hope to make the most of it. Season limit is two.

8. RDA

RDA Active Member

aim for the big spike tails man! between fires and stinkin wild horses and ravens, sage chickens dont have a chance... :-\

9. waited patiently for this thread to open... ;)
    here is my opening result
    [​IMG]

10. Man, with all those hens, I would get locked up if I showed a kill like that for one morning!! Neat pic!!

11. taxos

taxos Finches, Buntings

are you allowed to shoot dogs???

12. yeah dogs too... this was a trophy one ;D
    3 hens 2 drakes... here is no legal difference between them, anyway later in the season when they are in winter plumage, i choose drakes only

13. hambone

hambone Member

Great picture Milo, that's one to frame.

14. SteveP

SteveP New Member

Way to go! Milo. They look like some good eaters.
    Pat, and everyone else lucky enough to go after those big prairie grouse, good luck! I hear the young ones are decent to eat, but the old ones should mount up better.

15. Sea Duck

Sea Duck New Member

Here we go again, I get to watch you guys post hunting pictures and I'm still a month away from opening day. Oh well, keep the pictures coming and I hope everyone has a safe season.

Dan

16. alan webfoot

alan webfoot New Member

no pics of course I guess you'd have to kill a duck for that ,had a nice morning saw around 12 woodies and 1 hen greenwing way too far out a bonus was the 2 bald eagles doing there scream and twirling in the air overhead

17. NWWINGS

NWWINGS Member

Started out right!!! :eek: Today was the opening day for September Canada Geese. I got a field locked up a couple days ago and it paid off. Limited in ten minutes. Birds continued to circle and land while I was picking up the decoys. I hope the luck holds up. :)

[​IMG]

18. taxidermycollector

taxidermycollector I am in Europe, sooo no need for Uncle Sam's regs

We don't use bags in the UK, we have 4X4's to carry away the geese. Morning flight in Scotland.

Attached Files:

19. taxidermycollector

taxidermycollector I am in Europe, sooo no need for Uncle Sam's regs

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tgd1t0MyKOY

Firsr day first drive on a local Pheasant shoot. Total bag 805, 8 guns

20. lee tees valley

lee tees valley tweety luvva.

;D stinkin stocked pheasant's :eek: i prefer shootin wood pigeons and corvids