1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

2010 Bird Hunting Thread

Discussion in 'Bird Taxidermy' started by SteveP, Sep 7, 2010.

1. drakeman

drakeman Active Member

Last day of the season for us in S. Texas. My buddy and I hit our hole on the way to the firestation this morning and shot these gaddys and wigeon in less than 5 min. Then off to work we go. Good end for us and I am ready to get some rest. Keep those pics coming. ;)
    Steve
    [​IMG]

2. wings II

wings II New Member

....Our closer for Texas today produced a typical mixed north-central bag. We will be heading to Oklahoma next week for Geese...:Love all the pics.

[​IMG]

3. Shawn73

Shawn73 Active Member

nice birds. Season has been closed here for like two weeks and i already cant wait til next year

4. [​IMG]

5. SteveP

SteveP New Member

I love the TX pics. Thanks. I would sure love to get some of that late season shooting.

Milo, cool picture, it looks like some of the same fields we hunt over here. Is that typical snow cover for you this time of year?

6. drakeman

drakeman Active Member

All great pics. Milo, I love seeing the pics you post up from across the pond. Always a joy to see your hunts!

7. Glass eye

Glass eye Active Member

Yesterday I put a WI taxidermist on his trophy spoony. He came out here for cinnamons and spoonies, but yesterday I pushed a red ruddy to him. It was so close that he could have speared it but he never saw it. Maybe we can find him again. There's actually 3 of them, two that are hanging out together along with a large flock on big water, and another one on a small pond that I've been watching color out all season long.

Attached Files:

8. Glass eye

Glass eye Active Member

;D

Attached Files:

9. drakeman

drakeman Active Member

Hey glass eye, good for you for putting him on some ducks. How about next yr. You push some of those cinnys my way here in Texas! Love the pics keep em coming.

10. Glass eye

Glass eye Active Member

And this is from this morning.

Attached Files:

11. drakeman

drakeman Active Member

Nice!! ;D ;)

12. bnoody

bnoody Member

Invited a friend out to sea duck hunt for the weekend from Missouri. He treated me to a fine deer hunt this fall and I was hoping to show him as good a hunt. He ended up getting this drake king eider!

While I have mounted a lot of ducks, this will be my first king. We don't see these around the waters of Long Island, NY too often. Being a puddle duck hunter from Missouri, he didn't really understand why my friend and I were flipping out until he did a little research that night. If there are any unique challenges with this bird I should be aware of, I welcome any advice. Hoping to use this bird for one my competition pieces this summer.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

13. WOW nice King.

I went down to CA for a couple days of duck hunting specifically for drake spoonies and drake cinnimon teal. It was a great hunt with a bonus.
    Day ones bag with an "oops" hen I shot in the fog.
    [​IMG]

Cant complain about a banded hen.

Day 2 was super foggy. It was supposed to be a spoonie hunt, but turned into a mixed bag hunt, as we couldnt see much past 25-30 yards.

Nice pintail ( the back dekes are 25 yards to give ya an idea on the fog)
    [​IMG]

Spoonies were hard to come by or at least very hard to see, but I managed a nice double on a pair of full plumed birds as we were pickin up to leave.
    Day2's bag
    [​IMG]

14. James Parrish

James Parrish Tundra Swan...Its What's For Dinner!

Kilt this one on Jan 22.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

15. alaquacker

alaquacker New Member

James, parked my vehicle in that same barn last year, missed this year, but hope to be there next year.great time

16. James Parrish

Here's a group shot.

[​IMG]

17. Where'd y'all hunt James? We were over near Englehard the same day.

Bobby

18. Jim McNamara

Jim McNamara Well-Known Member

James,
    I hunted with Kyle again this year but what a bummer of a hunt. 5 guys in the blind and no shots fired. Kyle couldn't believe it. Weather had things messed up. Glad you all got your birds.
    Jim

19. James Parrish

We were hunting near Lake Phelps and Pungo NWR near Creswell.

It was a weird year for the swans. The temps here have been so low that the birds spend a lot of time on open water (to protect their feet presumably)....dang global warming. I duck hunt across Pamlico sound from Kyle's place in Cedar Island, NC. I don't know what the situation was this weekend, but for the last 3, we have seen close to 1000 swans raft up in the sound over off the Cedar Island refuge. My father in law is from that area and he said he has NEVER seen that many swans pile up over there. We tried hunting them on the water, but it is impossible to decoy birds when you have several hundred live ones rafting up 1/2 mile away. The saving grace for us on Sat was the wind. It was blowing a gale and pushed the birds off the sound....otherwise, we'd have had a bad day I'm sure.

Here's a pic of a smaller size flock flying over the Cedar Island refuge on Jan 8, 2011. We watched flock after flock like this from first light until 9:30. We normally don't see as many as there are in that flock in a single day, let alone flock after flock of them.
    [​IMG]

20. nebs

nebs New Member

Here's a pic after taking my boys out duck hunting with me for the first time. The Common Goldeneye, is my best drake yet :)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]