1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

2010 Bird Hunting Thread

Discussion in 'Bird Taxidermy' started by SteveP, Sep 7, 2010.

1. James Parrish

James Parrish Tundra Swan...Its What's For Dinner!

Mount that bird and frame that pic to go with it....awesome!

2. nice pics, nice hunts ...thanks for sharing everyone!!!
    Sunday is over with hare season so here is what we got today

probably 500 meters retrieve
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

3. drakeman

drakeman Active Member

Milo, I love that last photo. How do those hare taste?

4. James,

Those Carteret County swans are probably feeding over at Open Grounds farm. With a lot of the farmland north of Pungo going back into trees, there's probably been a shift in the swan wintering area. I also noticed a whole lot more cotton in that part of the world than there used to be. Twenty years ago, there was no cotton hardly in any of those counties. I used to be the WRC's district biologist out of New Bern and hunted the Pamlico a lot, especially the state impoundments. Hunted a lot of sea ducks too off of Pamlico Pt. We saw a bazillion surf scoters on Core sound between Cedar Island and the ferry turn bouy going into Ocracoke. We had no problems with swans coming off Mattumuskeet, there were tons of them. I do miss all the variety of waterfowl hunting up there.

Bobby

5. Glass eye

Glass eye Active Member

I got this guy this morning. I had been watching him color-out all season long and our season ends on january 30 so I figured it was time. He had been rafting in the same spot, always just out of range from the end of my trail, so I had to belly crawl through a varmint trail to close the gap.
    He's not as good as the other 2 that I've taken but he'll do.

Attached Files:

6. A5's are BOSS

7. X2 on the A5"s Hell of a gun in IMO.

8. Ya they are...but not as cool as a legally shot colored up ruddy. Thats awsome man!

9. Glass eye

Glass eye Active Member

I know where there's 2 more on big water with a large raft of grey ruddies. I'm going to see if I can't get those tomorrow or the next day, our last day.

10. NWWINGS

NWWINGS Member

Duck seasons are coming to a close. My wife is home from work and we're waiting for the new baby to come into this world any day now. My time in the field this season was mostly short and unplanned. I had a couple trips that took a little bit of planning and travel, but for the most part I stayed closer to home. If she doesn't go into labor tonight I might be at a local spot hoping to shoot a couple more mallards tomorrow morning with the cell phone on waiting for the call. Looks like there were some great hunts had by several of you out there. I always enjoy the photos on here. Here are a few photos of some days out after cans...
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

11. NWWINGS

NWWINGS Member

And some other various hunts...
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

12. NWWINGS

NWWINGS Member

Here's four "trophy" birds...
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

13. Here is my reference photo of my new dog blind I am going to make.
    [​IMG]

14. Glass eye

Glass eye Active Member

I was wondering what had happened to you Pat, I always enjoy your pics.

15. NWWINGS

NWWINGS Member

Life just seems busier than ever right now with a kindergartner, a preschooler, and a baby to be born at any time. Thanks for the compliment on the photos. I'm still around. Next year I will hopefully get back to the coast more and get back into longer hours in the field..... Might just be wishful thinking.. haha. Nice red ruddy yet again!

16. Glass eye

Glass eye Active Member

I envy you. I miss those days of having the little ones around. My 2 babies have left the nest and I find myself hunting less because I lost my 2 best hunting buddies. Time goes by in a blink.

17. drakeman

drakeman Active Member

I love this thread! Pat love your photos! Good luck and congrats on the new one. My wife and I are both 40 and our girls are 7 and 13. Miss them being little. I asked her the other day if she wanted another one. Then we thought for a few seconds and decided maybe not. Congrats, babies and even older kids are special. Just ask her to hold off a couple days so we can maybe see some more pics. My season is closed and I have to live vicariously through others. Lol
    Steve

18. Probably the last hunt of the season, but a good one!

Attached Files:

19. Triple BB

Triple BB New Member

Drake slam. Six different species in the same day. Tough feat to pull off in Wyoming since we don't winter good numbers of different sepcies.

A first for me. Don't know about the honk...

Attached Files:

20. NWWINGS

NWWINGS Member

Still no baby, so I got out this morning. I passed on hens except the accidental hen pintail. She got hit with the drake. The two gadwall drakes were the highlight of the day for me...
    [​IMG]