1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

2010 Bird Hunting Thread

Discussion in 'Bird Taxidermy' started by SteveP, Sep 7, 2010.

1. [​IMG]

Early season shoot with the new boat. Walking is over rated.

2. [​IMG]

3. This is my son with his first wood duck drake

Attached Files:

4. NWWINGS

NWWINGS Member

Oregon
    I had a spot picked out on the lake here to decoy some ducks for the western Oregon opener. Then around shooting time I realized a few others apparantly had similar plans... similar except for decoying the ducks. They were content to "pass shoot" aka "sky bust" the birds we were trying to work....... :-\ ::) Oh well its public hunting. I ended up with three birds and my brother had three teal and a pintail when we called it. I did get a new piece of jewelry to start things off :D :D.

[​IMG]

5. decent mornin

Attached Files:

6. bucksnort10

bucksnort10 Well-Known Member

bluebills

Attached Files:

7. nate

nate Active Member

Awsome photo Bucksnort. The good ol' model 72 herters, indestructable!! I heard they quit making them! :(

8. Y'all know that I'm awful jealous down here in SC of all the good duck hunting action going on. I used to have a bunch of those Herter's bluebills myself. They were super decoys, just don't spill boat gas on them.

Bobby

9. babak

babak Active Member

hi from iran to all of my friends around the world,

our area is semi-arid area and waterfowls are migrant and rare,but some of uplands are plentiful.this year raining content is really low and this obliged birds to make large groups and very aware of danger.when you arrive them about 80-90 yards they will flush and hard to get them.absolutely it will finish after first fall raining.look,here is my birds of our weekend.
    indeed our weekend is friday.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

10. mantis

mantis New Member

My oldest made me miss duck opener this year so here is a pic of his first deer ;D

[​IMG]

11. nate

nate Active Member

Eric, thats awsome. Our deer season starts Nov. 6, cant wait to take my daughter out. Last weekend we went out and built a stand, then went and shot a few rifles. I think we're ready!

12. mantis

mantis New Member

it was a blast hunting with him, his heart was pounding so loud i had to talk him down a little so he could shoot

13. Sarge

Sarge A little too much Lord *hic*

Well I figure it is time to post the good info my friends. The Migration is finally getting over the Border! The Lead flocks are now piling into ND the boys and I were out Saturday afternoon and evening and had to travel about 80-90 miles before we came into contact with the Sandhill Cranes and the duck clouds are just behind them. Hoping the weather here holds, if so this is gonna be an awesome year. They are way late though so I am not gonna hold my breath. I am hoping they hold tight for a couple weeks at least need to get a few limits.

Latest reports locally are that the bulk of the the birds are still just over the Canadian line from the border to 100 miles south of it. I figure this week end those leaders will be down here in my neck of the woods and the bulk will be here for the end of the month. I hate years like this when the geese are in the air during rifle season but you gotta take what you can get and I didn't draw a Tag this year so I will have to do double duty helping the boys get there and sneak a few Birds along the way.

The guns are cleaned and oiled the shell bag is packed and the calls, deaks, and blinds are setting here on the shop floor next to me. I am gonna sneak out of the shop in the mornings and get what I can while the kids are in school. I really love living on the line between the Mississippi and Central Flyways

It's Hammer Time,

Jeff

14. KAMoHunter

KAMoHunter Proud member of the WVTA

only the local birds down here. they know where they want to be and i dontr have permission to be there. did see a flock of about 20 woodies today though along with a few stray mallards. geese are virtually non- existent down here at the moment. late season is where its at on the ohio and kanawha though

15. Glass eye

Glass eye Active Member

I'm in the desert southwest on the Mexican Border and our only local birds, or loco birds to hang around here in the summer, are cinnamon teal and mallards. But I'm seeing Redheads, Spoonies, GW Teal and Scaup, so I guess the migration is on. Opener down here is this saturday.

16. NWWINGS

NWWINGS Member

Oregon
    West of Eugene, Oregon the report is - Specklebellies have mostly moved through already. The cacklers are building in numbers all the time. Lots here now. A lot of pintails, teal, and gadwall hanging out on the local refuge too. Local mallards are already wising up. I was lucky the first two days of the season though.

Saturday -[​IMG] Sunday -[​IMG]

17. Since I don't have my Idaho reidency yet I had to jump the border back into Washington for the opener. My dad drove over so we could hunt quail the first half of the week and then deer opened on Saturday. We had a pretty good couple of days on quail and even got a bonus coyote. Deer huntng didn't go so well but I have until Sunday to fill my tag then it's back to the birds.I even got to see my first wild moose this past week which was pretty neat.

The coyote and the days take
    [​IMG]

my dog Avery and I. She didn't like the coyote at all!
    [​IMG]

The moose. The bull was hot after the cow.
    [​IMG]

some Mulies
    [​IMG]

a few bucks hanging around.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

18. man...Pat you are a treasure hunter for sure ;) ...how many blings so far? ::)

here is from today .... before the dark was quite some action, under the hard rain..this is what we come home whit
    [​IMG]

19. KAMoHunter

KAMoHunter Proud member of the WVTA

early season here in WV. i just think the photo turned out awesome.

[​IMG]

20. ludvik

ludvik beginner taxidermist :-)

here is a photo from a new trip to hytto ;D ;D ;D it is verry good whit bird this year. the bad thing is they steel have a lot of pinfethers in there neck/heads.:mad: :(.it is first time i have seen them whit pinfethers so late in the seson.

Attached Files: