1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Killing Spotted Fawns

Discussion in 'Deer and Gameheads' started by Joey Arender, Sep 25, 2006.

1. after the shot

after the shot N.E.A.T. Board Member

I personally wouldnt shoot a fawn unless it was wounded. but then again, I wont shoot a buck unless it has more than 6 points, and even then it has to me a mature deer. Needless to say, I dont shoot all that many. I think its an individual thing and if someone chooses to shoot a spotted deer, good for them.

2. I've been blessed enough to have been able to hunt around the world on several occasions. It seems that there are different acceptable practices around the world. What is is fully accepted and the "norm" in some places is actually illegal in others.... every one must answer to them what is their "comfort level" when it comes to hunting..the most important things for us hunters not to fight among ourselves because one does some that the other doesn't....that is our biggest downfall. We need to be united. A hunter is a hunter..doesn't matter what method is used.

3. kevin scott

kevin scott New Member

I think that if it is legal ,why not? If a person wants to use his tag on a fawn there should not be a problem. As far as the anti's go ,it does not matter what is killed ,just that it is. I feel the same about antler size also. The person paid for their tag and should be able to shoot what they want.

4. John_NY

John_NY Northern N.Y.

Well I'll say it. I'm getting old and hunt in the adirondacks in N.Y. and I hunt alone.
    The small ones are easier to get back to the car when ya start getting old.
    I also carry a rope with me so I can hang the deer in a tree then back under it
    to load it on the car. Boy am I getting old. But come Oct. 14th I'll be out there trying again.

John_NY

5. Good, honest debate. I wouldn't shoot one myself, but I encouraged both my sons to do it for their first bow kill. They were hunting in an area with an overabundance of deer. They chose not to. Many people won't do it, but many will. They are all legal with the proper permits. With the amount of deer I see wasted alongside the roads everyday I would never condemn another hunter for shooting a small deer, or even one with spots, as long as it didn't go to waste. As long as it is legal they have every right to do it and that's enough in my book to support their actions, one hunter to another. It's a choice, just like the guy that says he will go hungry if he doesn't see a trophy buck.

And Mr. T, if you really want one with spots I have one in the freezer that my son hit with his car this past summer. It is in pretty nice shape with legal tags. It has to go somewhere pretty soon. By the way, how's the back doing?

6. TrophyRoom

TrophyRoom New Member

I've talked with a biologist here in Tx that says you should shoot every spotted fawn you see in general rifle season down here. He said that they are late fawns and will always be behind other deer and it is harder on them through the winter. Also, all of their fawns will be late born also as they cycle later.

And what's wrong with showing a picture of it on a forum?? Anyone has the right to be proud of their kill and they are only sharing it with other hunters on a hunting forum.... I wouldn't post it on a kids forum....

7. Becky P

Becky P One must believe the glass is half full.

Well, I could never shoot one. We hunt but rarely shoot, but then we do NOT have an over abundance of deer either, so it's mostly "trophy" hunting. If it's not wall worthy, it walks.

8. Its like abortion, unfortunatly, if you want a spotted fawn for Any reason, then Kill him, eat him and shut up! Its actually up to the hunter. I'm just looking for bigger fish to fry!!!!!!!!!

9. cyclone

cyclone Posts: 400001

Ask the farmers in my neck of the woods. Ask the ones that have lost most of their feed corn and don't even bother with planting sweet corn any longer...ask them if they'd want the fawns shot.

Be careful with the statements about passing those younguns and going for the mature does. Come late in the season and they're carrying. Would you all shoot her if you knew there was a chance of her being pregnant? :-\

10. Jerry S.

Jerry S. New Member

Last month my wife and I visited a past exchange student in Germany. While I was there her father took me to his revere (hunting area) and we hunted roebuck, hirsch (red stag) and wild boar. He explained that he and two other hunters were the only ones allowed to hunt the area (plus guests) and that they were required by the biologist to take 30 roebuck, 40 stag, and unlimited boar this hunting season. They even had it broken down by male, female, and fawns.

He explained that proper game management requires a certain number of each age class be taken from the herds each year.

It made sense to me.

Just my $ .02 . . . adjusted, of course, for inflation.

Jerry S.

11. RDMARTIN53

RDMARTIN53 Active Member

Different game laws and requirements dictate some opinions but mine is that I enjoy HUNTING. Harvesting an immature or infant animal is not hunting..."in my opinion". We get 1 deer and 1 elk tag but can apply for extra doe tags. No big challenge to harvest a spot or doe in the first few hours of opening day. BINGO....your hunting is over. If you are going to harvest a fawn...do it Rambo style.... Jump out of a tree and cut its throat. Put a little challenge to it. LOL!

12. George

George The older I get, the better I was.

RD, I don't have a problem with anyone having their own opinion, but you resort right back to what I keep warning hunters about: ridiculing other hunters in pursuit of legal game. What does "Rambo style" imply to you or anyone else? Don't you ever bother to think that the animal rights wackos view us ALL as "Rambo's"? If I could only kill one doe/antlerless deer, then I would be very judicious as you are. But in MOST areas where whitetails live, they are already a pest or soon will become one with more than liberal hunting seasons and bag limits. Along the Eastern seaboard and the south, whitetails infest open areas and in many cases, communities HIRE "professionals" to come in and exterminate them. They do this because hunters continue to label themselves as Rambos and communities would rather pay a "professional" that entrust some yahoo playing Rambo. Most of us should choose our words carefully before we paint outselves and others into the same corner.

13. JL

JL Taxidermist for 64 years

Wow, this thread has really gone to the dogs.If killing a spotted deer bothers you...just don't do it, but to chastise someone who does shows your ignorance. Here in the North where the snow depths are over six feet and the temperatures drop to minus 30 degrees, deer "yard up" in the same areas year after year. Food is at a premium and the big deer can reach it while the yearlings starve and die. Shooting a spotted deer, tagging it and eating it is doing that deer a big favor and helping the bred does survive to give birth in the spring.Come here in February and look at the yearlings with their cold, puffy faces and stomachs tucked in trying to survive till spring and I bet you'll change your mind about killing a spotted deer. Good luck....JL

14. Dooly

Dooly New Member

The spots give you something to aim for! Spots on deer=less tenderizing

15. RDMARTIN53

RDMARTIN53 Active Member

George, I like you have the right to my own opinion and could care less about how animal rights activist view my opinions or discussions about it. This is OUR forum. I am sure they bicker with each other as well. I used to live in S.C. where our season ran Aug. 15 - Jan. 1 with NO LIMIT on bucks on private lands. Plenty of deer but still chose to "HUNT" mature animals. Key word being "HUNT" in case that word was overlooked. IF others choose to "hunt" spots then its their right. My opinion is just that...my opinion. If it was read or interpeted as "Ridiculing" hunters then I apoligize. THAT was not my intention.

16. hunterray2002

hunterray2002 http://www.finandfoto.com

Great point George. as for myself Living with 42 acres behind me and having deer come into my yard I've often thought about that very thing of fawns being taken. sure,sure they look nice as a mount,sure they taste great,

Sure it makes people feel bad when they see a fawn thats been taken .then theres alot of ridicule and so forth but most people you will hear in my area say HEY MEATS ,MEAT. I guess there again its a personal poreferance thing not one I chose to take tho.

17. George

George The older I get, the better I was.

RD, I wasn't trying to be snotty and you're right this is OUR forum, but when we talk here is just like that guy in the crowded restaurant who had a loud ringer on his cell phone and answers it so that he can tell everyone in there his business. I've learned brutally about that here. We have AR guys sitting in on every game commission meeting without fail. They interact aggressively to "get the word out" when any changes are proposed and they cost of millions of dolllars each year when they find some sympathetic judge who orders a second, third, or fourth "impact study" be done before the change can be made. Hunters and taxidermists tend to accept the status quo and assume that we need to do nothing to keep it that way. The AR guys love our apathy and are constantly looking for ways to exploit it. I don't shoot spotted fawns either, but not for any other reason than I don't shoot small bucks. Just a choice I make, but I understand and support those who have a different perspective.

18. Hey Cyclone,

I bet most of that there damage to the corn crops is caused by raccoons. They are 100 times more destructive on a corn field than deer ever will be. They hit the sweet corn first and then move on to the field corn. Many farmers don't want you trapping those coons because it's cruel but those deer all need to be killed. Many farmers are taking matters into their own hands and controlling the herds on their lands with those nuisance permits. Then they tell the new hunters seeking permission that they already have all the hunters they need on their lands. And how about those crows? They will sit in a corn field by the hundreds pulling up the plants when they are a couple of inches tall so they can get that corn seed on the end of the plant. Did I mention the crow season is closed at that time?

19. John_NY

John_NY Northern N.Y.

We have a local farmer here in northern N.Y. who won't let anyone hunt his property "which is his right" but he gets permits every year to just kill and bury those pesky deer. It just doesn't seem right.

John_NY

20. snub

snub Guest

My buddies would give me a load of s*** if I shot a spotted fawn, I would do the same if in that position. I will take a nice button buck though, in ohio they are pretty good size. They say some yearling does will have fawns the next year, so I let them go. A nice big doe is a different story. The size of the deer herd probably would affect my decission. When I first started hunting there were few deer and now they are everywhere, so its ok to take a doe or button buck, let the yearling does go unless you are hunting with your kid or a new hunter. just my two cents