1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Skin mounts & the C & R philosophy

Discussion in 'Fish Taxidermy' started by dougp, Sep 9, 2010.

1. RDA

RDA Active Member

bring those muskies out west and see what happens! :eek: Out here they are considered trash and are poisoned to protect the real fish... But if some of you muskie huggers would like, i can notify you all the next lake they poison or drain to get rid of them or northerns there will be tons to hug!

2. WNWA

WNWA New Member

hahhaaa, lmao, rda....good point

3. muskiefool

muskiefool New Member

So now we need to respect your total lack of respect for us and the resource? right.
    Yep your right RDA they do allot for stupid $#!+ out in the land of fruit and nuts, maybe we can start a list haha.
    I'm just a customer with money to spend.

4. RDA

RDA Active Member

not really, we just like to have edible nice fish here...Trout, bass perch etc....The GOOD stuff... Those greasy long fish just swim and eat....as for eating those long fish, i would rather have a sage grouse.... :D

5. muskiefool

muskiefool New Member

Greasy long fish, greasy? really? Obviously with a knowledgeable statement like that you've eaten many Pike LMFAO. Who else hates the taste of "Greasy" Pike. ::) We like to "eat" what we kill too.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y7n-CRD0eak

6. RDA

RDA Active Member

forgedda bout it... Perch crappie bass then bluegill..occasionally a skanky trout or catfish. those ARE the only eating fish out there... ;D

7. muskiefool

muskiefool New Member

There are a few Carp out there too isnt there? and they aint half bad smoked up. I love Trout, if I remember I post my Jack Trout recipe at the bottom of one of the diatribes LOL. Cats are hit and miss. I'm frying up some Leech Lake and Minaki Walleye, Pike and Perch tonight for the big fall feast as a matter of fact.

8. dougp

dougp Active Member

Wow!!! Can I come........!

9. dcmusky

dcmusky New Member

Ok this is the closest I could find for 30% it was 10% for livebait walleye rigs but look closely for what crankbaits were. ;)
    Walleye catch & release

Live-bait rigs hook fish more deeply than artificial lures and thus kill more fish - whether badly hooked fish are put on a stringer or thrown back into the lake. So, the conventional wisdom holds that live bait must be banned if regulations require anglers to release many of their fish.

A recent DNR study confirms that live bait kills more walleye. But it also suggests that hooking mortality with leeches is low enough to make catch-and-release angling worthwhile.

The 1985-86 study compared the hooking mortality caused by crankbaits and leeches, two popular walleye rigs. None of the walleye caught on crankbaits later died. The hooking mortality for leeches was about 10 percent - significant, but still low enough that anglers could release fish with fair confidence that they would survive. (Interestingly, the study also showed that crankbaits caught larger fish.)

Also important to the survival of fish is how they are landed and handled. If you intend to release a fish, don't play it to exhaustion, do not hold it by the eyes, cut the line if the fish is deeply hooked, and return the fish to the water immediately. In fact, it is often possible to unhook a fish without ever lifting it from the water.

By keeping less than their limit and releasing some fish - especially large fish - anglers perpetuate the quality of their own fishing and that of other anglers. Catch-and-release fishing - whether voluntary or required by special regulations - will probably pay an ever-larger role in fish management.

10. dcmusky

dcmusky New Member

And yes I do know fishing numbers are dropping, but muskie fishing is the largest growing sector in fishing. IMO I think it's got to do with the size and fun of fishing muskies. Without quality no one would want to fish for them. This is where it would be nice if we could get your profession to push the replicas more. I agree with you guys 100% that more needs to be done by fishermen to make sure as many fish survive the release as if the die either by a bat to the back of the head or by a poor release it's no longer a fish someone else can catch.
    I will also give you an example of an experience that me and my dad had when we first started chasing these fish. We fished a small 100 acre bog lake that you could only get to by a 2 miles boat ride up a river in the UP of Mich. It was only 9 ft at it's deepest and you could easily see bottom. we would fish this lake and the river for a week straight. We caught muskies and lots of them, they were very aggressive and we even got 14 in one day. I never once seen a dead one floating or sunk on the bottom. We were very inexperienced at release and in fact most of the pics. I have of these fish I don't show anyone because we handled some of the first ones very badly. The only one that died on us we knew it right away, and Doug is right, they don't always float to the top.
    In the 25years I've fished muskies I've only seen 3 floaters in the water. You are also spot on with the water temp thing. This summer I stopped fishing for muskies for about a month as the lakes around me were in the 80 degree range. I think the highest water temp was 86 degrees, and with those temps you might as well take it home with you if you catch one.
    Also just to let you know I too am a weekend warrior, I'm just a blue collar union guy that works 5 days a week. I don't know any guides on Green Bay or the guy you are referencing but I do know a few in MN. Some are the most caring guys about the fishery you would ever want to meet. Others (mostly out of staters) only care about the money plain and simple.
    We have allot more in common then you think and we have to have trophy fish for both YOUR industry to survive and for the future of fishing to survive. And just one more thing, I'm going to put up a link so you can see my personal best and see I live up to my words. 2 things, all of these pics were taken in 15 seconds and also note the hat I am wearing. See I don't hate taxidermy.
    http://www.thenextbite.com/node/13055

11. EA

EA Well-Known Member

Ah-Oh ,You said the "U" word. Shouldn't have done that ,But I now can see ,you're not all bad. :D

12. Pescado

Pescado Biggest in 2011

So bass are better eating than pike? I have cooked hundreds of pounds of pike over the last several years for a great number of my hunters and many said it was some of the finest eating fish they have ever tasted. I also carved some meat from a musky a client speared, and that was very very good tasting as well.

PB

13. Monty Artrip

Monty Artrip Active Member

I have to agree Paul, pike are very good. I have yet to try a musky, but after reading this I will give it a go next time I get one!!

14. dougp

dougp Active Member

dcmusky, thanks for the info.There are too few studies to show mortality under all the different circumstances in angling. I agree there are many variables. My point since day one, years ago, when all this started, was that C&R does not mean "no kill".
    I assume you read the delayed mort. piece on North. pike I posted here.

Yes, we have a lot in common. Yes, we should be able to support each other. I've supported MI for many years....until I ran into the mind set of people like m'fool & crew. Not to blame them on my giving up support, just that mind set that turned me away. It still turns many anglers away today. Read the Jim Bunch art. I posted.

There is a radical militarist group among the angling industry that is repulsive to many, many anglers. This is easily illustrated by this thread and the few threas on TNB in years past in which I was soo privileged to participate.

As long as there are guys who would rather attack, slander and demean rather than discuss different views of C&R, or whatever, to a rational conclusion ther will be resistance.

Now, I will give an example of why I will NOT "push replicas" as you say. Some years ago, in Minnesota, a customer [resort owner actually] caught a northern pike that was 42" long and weighed 32# 2oz. , very short and very fat. It was huge. He brought it to his resort, weighed it, took photos and "released it" in his harbor. This was in early Nov. The fish was gorging on the spawning whitefish and ciscos.
    Anyway, he called me for a replica. I said I couldn't get a blank with the dimensions to replicate that pike. No mold maker had a blank anywhere near those dimensions. I could get him [and did in the end] a 32# pike but it was 52" long. That did not reflect the true representation of the fish he caught.

Now, if I had been pushing him into replicas all along and he released that fish based on my recommendation to get a replica rather than a skin mount he could rightfully blame me for ruining his "trophy experience" since I couldn't provide a replica with the proper dimension.

I don't care what an angler actually chooses. I prefer a skin mount over a replica UNLESS it's a 'custom reproduction". That, however also requires killing the fish.

You have illustrated in your last post that it is possible to talk about this rationally. Why some of you guys support the "leadership" of the radical, militant, zealots in your "movement" is hard to understand. It's very divisive.

We could talk about this in pm's if you like. We are not that far apart.

My sign is a response to what I considered mis-information given to the angling community about C&R and replica availability. It is also a response to the fanatics who claim to "not kill fish anymore, 'cause I C&R!" Baloney!

I see no reason to change my mind....yet.

BTW...congrats on your personal best. Super fish! I saw it posted on TNB in the past.

Paul B....pike are my favorite!!!!!

Monty...LOL!! You're just a touble maker ...LOL!! ;D ;D ;)

DougP

15. RDA

RDA Active Member

well perhaps its the water or temps, BUT pike out this way are greasy FISHY tasting fish.... ;D

16. Pescado

Pescado Biggest in 2011

I am certain the cold & clean Canadian waters I take the pike from are a key factor in their quality flavor. The fact most are eaten within an hour of being caught is another. They also feeding a lot on crayfish, which enhances the taste as well.

PB

17. franchi612

franchi612 New Member

The one thing that really bothers me is the amount of people that are c&r zealots when it comes to muskies, but gladly will have a stringer mount of 5 30" female walleyes! Or the well know tv personality that would never dream of keeping a musky, but gladly tells his viewers and shows himself keeping a limit of 9" crappies because "the small ones are all males" even though I know the biggest crappies I have ever caught were males, while the smaller 9-10"ers seem to be female, and the particular body of water he is talking about is known to produce 16"+ crappies! So I'm sorry I just don't get why its bad to keep small muskies, or female muskies when some of the same people who perpetuate that beleif don't beleive the same way for all other species of fish. I'm not speaking of anyone in particular here, just in general that I don't get people who are religious about protecting muskies for their own benefit, but will gladly exploit other species for their trophy room or supper.

18. RDA

RDA Active Member

must be it, as our waters are typically brown to green on color, warm and yes murky.... :D