1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Skin mounts & the C & R philosophy

Discussion in 'Fish Taxidermy' started by dougp, Sep 9, 2010.

1. hodx

hodx Herman Darr

Nate...thanks...might take you up on it....time to cull out georgian bay...i need 48,49,50,51,52,53,54,55,56,57,58,59,60...and some bigger ones...catch the muskiys , said the walleye and perch.

2. Brian W

Brian W Active Member

LOL...got me Kevin....hard to pass up that 4 1/2 year old. It's my highest scoring typical (which isnt much compared to some guys), still had dried up velvet on the back of the rack. Had almost 6 inch bases and field dressed 221. Interesting also as this was a brand new spot I had to find after another hunter put his tree stand in the tree I was using. This buck ended up on the late Fred Trost's TV show and Big Buck night. Very proud of it but just because you brought it up, I mended my ways... ;D.... with this 13 pt (12 scorable)...206 field dressed.... (my wife's idea for the bandana's on the dogs, I wanted camo...lol):

Attached Files:

3. backstapwillie

backstapwillie 2011 Montana Bow kill

Thats a great deer. Those dogs look real meen! ;D

4. FishArt

FishArt Well-Known Member

Brian, wow, nice buck! What did that puppy score B&C net?

5. franchi612

franchi612 New Member

Of course the big difference is I can let a deer walk by my stand unharmed. However fishing involves catching and stressing out the animal. If you are an animal rights type of person, no doubt you beleive being hooked causes a great deal of pain. If you loved muskies, and were purely out to see the species perpetuated for the sake of the species you would never fish them at all! I have no problem with c&r. People laugh at me for practicing c&r on quality panfish. I don't see why there isn't room for everyone in the outdoors. If I wana keep a fish I keep it. Who cares really as long as its legal? States (hopefully) set size limits and bags based on biological fact. If the fishery could not sustain harvest it would be closed! I mean honestly, they used to shoot muskies! No c&r there. Funny thing is with all this c&r you would think records would fall right and left much like deer records are being broke every year since the popularity of tdm. I mean there should be gargantuan muskies out there if none were ever kept by anglers right? So something out there is killing muskies, and since we have many very busy taxidermists saying that they do few musky skin mounts, what other reasons are ther for mortality on huge fish??? HMMMMMMMMMM

6. nate

nate Active Member

Good points franchi.
    I think the MNDNR has done an excellent job at managing muskie. When I first started fishing for them , the legal size was 36". As they got to be more plentiful, they raised it to 40" and it was like that for quite awhile. Just two years ago they raised it to 48" and there are lots of muskies to fish and bigger ones at that. Its not uncommon anymore to here of people catching them 48"-51". You're allowed 1 in posession. I bet if the dnr thought that by a few people keeping fish that size would hurt the population, they would make it catch and release only. So when I get my 50"er It'll sure be coming home with me and I will be proud of it and show it off! The C&R guys can kiss my butt! :-* I read somewhere, that it takes just as long to grow 11" bluegill or a 15" crappie than it does to grow 50" muskie, but not for sure. :-\

7. Jeff Lumsden

Jeff Lumsden Well-Known Member

Great post Perca, lets see if they respond??? at all.

8. dougp

dougp Active Member

I started this thread about a sign I've hung in my shop. Another variation is below. It conveys a thought that I really believe.

A charming dude by the handle of "muskiefool" has chosen to make some comments in TWIFP about a pike photo I posted. He is also known as Mr. John Underhill

I thought I would post a revealing little piece written by Mr. muskiefool on a musky board.

Gives you a good perspective on were these peoples heads are at.... ::) ::) ::)

I like my sign better... ;D ;D ;D

DougP

Attached Files:

9. dougp

dougp Active Member

If these fish were "meant to swim" as muskiefool so eloquently puts it, how come you musky guys are stickin' 5/0 trebles in their mouths and pulling them around on the end of 80lb test line as they fight for their lives and then jerk them out of the water for your "EGO PHOTO" and then release them fully expecting to do it to 'em again and again....sounds CRUEL to me. ;D

Why not just leave them alone and let 'em "swimmmmm",eh :mad:

DougP

10. dougp

dougp Active Member

Notice how these musky "gurus" can come to this site and post their trash but............

I STILL have not received a "note" from Dadson as he said he sent me and I STILL can't register on the MUSKYTOOTH site.

DougP

11. hodx

hodx Herman Darr

cause he knows he can't win with you..haha

12. WNWA

WNWA New Member

i know doug i went to register the other day and was blocked, if you went to pita's
    site they would let you register so they could at least try to brain wash you on
    there own grounds.these guys remind you of the bullies in school, that didnt bouther
    me, i usely ended up stomping there ass and making them the laughing stock of
    school and went along with my business. these muskie guys got the me,me,me
    syndrome, right or wrong its all about them.....

13. Perca

Perca Well-Known Member

You guys are painting all "muskie huggers" with the same wide brush. Here's one who deserves some respect. [​IMG] Just think....it's only a few more months before C&H (Catch & Hug) muskie [size=16pt]spearing season opens in MIchigan!!![/size] ;D

[​IMG]

14. I've been a Musky fisherman since the early 70's and have seen a lot of changes through the years, mostly good. Back then 30" was the WI statewide size limit. Big fish were relatively rare and I remember people breaking the backs of 29 1/2" fish and stretching them to make min size because they tasted pretty darn good. I think I even have a baked Musky recipe somewhere...

However, because of C&R fishing has improved much since those days and I would hate to go back. I personally, have not kept a Musky for probably 20 years now. I am primarily a jig fisherman and most of my jigs use a single 5/0 hook, so the fish doesn't have a whole mouth full of treble hooks and I don't have to be a surgeon to release a fish (to my knowledge at least) unharmed. I still believe in selective harvest however, and if someone wants to keep what they consider a trophy fish, they should have the right to do so without being looked down upon.

The extremists who have posted on here that live for Musky fishing (probably worshiped by the Musky community) and catch WAY more fish than the general public probably do more harm (without even realizing it) to the fishery due to delayed mortality, than the few fish being argued about on here.

I have also been a member of Muskies, Inc for many years. I have a lot of friends who are also members and I think they do a lot of good. Although they promote C&R, I don't believe they share the views of the few radicals who have posted on here. If & when I believe they have went to far and bully me into those beliefs, I will simply no longer be associated with them.

Here is another shot of my 45" Musky (custom molded & reproduced), that was found floating on a nearby lake that at least didn't go to waste.

Attached Files:

15. Jeff Lumsden

The Muskellunge has changed his life and wishes them to change ours? Mans fear, greed and selfishness? The world rejoicing...
    Her mystique? Meant to swim...just like others, birds soar and deer frolic too.

Sounds a lot like church because it is, he's Pantheistic. He could be shown all day long the failures and malfunctions with C$R, won't affect him, it's a religious experience that is why there isn't a middle ground for his ilk. He is a nut case what ever he thinks!

Wait until C$R is renamed by PETA into molest & release, then they will be called Neanderthals.

Jeff

16. hambone

hambone Member

LOL Jeff thats catchy Molest & Release, I like it .

17. muskiefool

muskiefool New Member

Hey Bill; I appreciate the effort you put into what ever it is your doing. How long have you been painting fish? week 10 days? silver spots, really? LOL, go catch a muskie and cross that %$#^%$ eyes and dot its Tee's LOL. Oh BTW you already lost you just dont know it.
    Keep battling the guys bringing you 50-55 inch fish to mount skin or otherwise, good idea, wheres that business model come from?.
    Hmm lets see 16 X 52 + wood and all the extreee's thats about a grand a fish you wont be seeing hahahahaha.
    Just playin, you guys get way to wound up over crap that dont and wont matter, like your influence on C&R, its totally irrelevant. We cant stop it or make it anymore prolific so your squabbling with Johnny, the public and the release police is futile. More peeps want replicas. Its not just us but the people have spoken and acted (thats why its an issue for you$$$$), people see what a waste it is and lost opportunity for others to catch and kill or release, but at least it gets appreciated 1 more time.
    Delayed mortality with artificial baits is less than 1%. BTW I like 6 to 7/0 hooks Billy boy its better for the fish. Much faster release than with 5/0 and smaller.
    So sit back and wait for all the skin of the past to come to you and starve, hell the bass guys are even worse than us how many of them to you mount compared to the number caught .000000001 per 10000.
    Join up with Johnny website we're having a blast at your expense its well worth the price of admission to the worlds only pay fishing website.
    [​IMG]
    Muskies have done great things for me, totally changed the way I fish and live. I used to be a horrid wretch now look at me I'm your puppet master Bill, Dance; Bill Dance haha.

18. Harum

Harum Active Member

I think I need more fiber in my diet...

19. Jeff Lumsden

So what Muskyfool is trying to say here is that he can't discuss or respond to the solid questioning that has been posted here about C$R so he'll just simply made a fool of himself instead.

He must have also over looked where Johnny agreed that "taxidermists aren't the problem with our fishery", and he apologised for singeling us out.. "It's the average inexperienced angler with their 40-50% mortality rates!" He clarified. To which we all can whole heartedly agree, and that's a huge point fool.

I'm glad your having fun. But I am wasting my time.

Jeff

20. muskiefool

muskiefool New Member

Heres how we got here, Buffalo Bill comes looking for trouble crapping in our house so to speak. Pushing blatant lies and deception about C&R (like the DNR doesn't support C&R) then runs back here and expects people not to catch on. I have many skin mounts and dont have a problem with if the fish dies or a person wants to kill it, its called free will just like C&R its free will and the majority of Muskie fisherman want to keep the fishery growing and producing huge fish.
    They dont grow dead, everyone knows that. Muskie fisherman use taxidermists all the time for everything under the sun, we hunt we fish.
    Bill point is that fish die and you do more harm by releasing them; he's delusional. The #1 reason Muskies are what they are today and attracting huge numbers of fisherman is directly proportional to the number of anglers releasing them.
    If you get a dead fish in the door make a mold. Its only going to help you down the road the writing is on the wall. We have to be accountable for every impact we have on our resources they are not infinite.
    Bill claims to be a friend of Muskies or a one time friend but as the angler and fishery changed he stayed the same. Thats fine just dont expect to have the same volume of business from Muskie anglers especially when you have slapped 99.9% of us in the face.

I release all Muskies, is that a problem? Is a person killing one to eat or mount a problem? Is promoting the killing of fish as being better for the fishery a problem?