1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Mounting with arificial heads

Discussion in 'Fish Taxidermy' started by Doty-Taxidermy, Sep 11, 2010.

1. Just curious as to how other guys do it. I've mounted a bunch of cold water fish with artificial heads (since the primary fish mounted around me is a salmon or trout from Lake Ontario). I've always attached the heads to the forms before mounting the fish. Have any of you mounted the fish on the form, allowed it to completely dry, and then attach the heads? I was thinking it would allow me to get a smoother transition under the gill plate and allow easier blending from the top of the head to the "back" so to say. Also if I waited for it to dry I was thinking I wouldn't have to worry about anything shifting while attaching the head. Does this sound like something that could be done without too much trouble?

2. FishArt

FishArt Well-Known Member

Well, the way I was taught I test-fit the head on the foam body and make sure it fits fine. Then, the head is set aside and I mount the skin on the form. FYI, when carving the body I carve a little notch/lip in the foam so that the skin can come over slightly at the head juncture and it's stapled/glued. This way you have no worries of the skin separating at the head juncture (That would be my concern with the way you're doing it). Once the skin/body dries you attach the head and fill the juncture...

3. That's just what I wanted to hear! I won't be carving a form, but like you, I always test fit the skin/head/form. I also like the idea of cutting a little groove in to old the skin. I used to staple around the edges of the head (to prevent it from pulling away), which added a lot more finish work in the end. I would pull the staples then have to blend it all with epoxy. I will definitely be doing this next one the way you described. Thanks a lot!!

4. FishArt

FishArt Well-Known Member

Doty, fyi I sometimes leave the staples in or pull them depending on if there's room or not to leave them in. Then, the epoxy goes right over the staples in that little "channel" (I guess you'd call it) at the head juncture. You only need maybe 1/4"-3/8" of skin coming over. Don't know if this is how most do it, but it works for me!

P.S. Sometimes on smaller fish especially I'll use small T-pins instead - or T-pins and staples. Doesn't matter, you're just looking for something to keep the skin down and since it's covered with epoxy the holes won't matter...

5. Sounds good FishArt. I should have my form and head coming Monday or Tuesday. Can't wait to try it out!