1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Never Use Western Skies!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Discussion in 'Tanning' started by whitetail mike, Sep 15, 2010.

1. I finally am tried of all the waiting and dealing with trying to get my hides back from western skies.If you need the experience in fixing holes in the mouth,eyes cut open,holes in the ears,then use should use western.I took out my hides this last year to them,So i know they stayed frozen for the trip,and I let them do my turning for me.So i do a short Y cut and freeze them.Out of the 40 hides I sent them this year,I have at least 10 to 12 go bad on me.There are slip spots on the neck and the shoulder areas.I have been doing taxidermy for over 6 years full time now,so I do no how to take care of my hides.This company this last year managed to mess up more of my capes and fine furs.I just got my last capes back this week.I had sent them a zebra hide and it took them over 9 months to tan it.I was beginning to wonder if I was ever going to get it back.Plus this year they managed to lose a Elk cape of mine,and two foxes and a bobcat.So I had to find other elk cape and still dont have my fine furs back.I have been in contact with two other taxidermists which,out of 10 deer capes sent there 4 of them went bad or slip.My fine furs that i did get back all of the hair in the ears are slipping and big holes in the face.I have spent more time fixing there dam skinning holes and shaving holes it is to the point I am ready to scream.
    I can not stress enough not to use this tannery,unless you want to fix capes all day before you get to mount it or pay threw the ass for replacement capes.
    If you need any info or pictures of these hides let me know.

2. yeah, They ruin capes. I mounted a bobcat and they put more holes in the face then any "taxidermy mountable" pelt i had ever seen. Looked like a 3 year old went crazy with a scalpel. And the darn thing slipped like crazy. I've seen Whitetail mikes hides... Multiple shipments of hides and there was always at least one slipped cape out of 5 or 6. or the ears blown out, always something... Don't use them.

3. I've never used them, but I have had some horrendous tannery problems over the years, its heart wrenching!!! Good luck!

4. JBuresh@ICT

[email protected] Turkey Creek Furs and Wildlife Studio

WOW, are you kidding me!!!! You STILL havent got them bobcats back yet? Hasn't it been OVER a year? Now I'm really nervous, if they jacked up my LS sika deer I'm gonna be SUPER PISSED!!!!!!!!!!!! There was not even a nick in that whole deer when it left here, so it damn well better be pristine when I get it back. Mike , you need to see if it came with your last batch and take it out and chek it for me if it was. I was nervous sending it there anyway after working with you and seein some of the crap we had to work with, But you stuck with them , so I gave them the benefit of the doubt. I hope it doesn't come back to bite me. I should have some whitetails in that batch too, let me know if I need to start lookin for replacements. ~Jason

5. jimjones

jimjones New Member

so just came across this old post again. and thought id let u know that i finally took a cape out that i had sent to western to mount. been back for over a year and had in the freezer. when we got it out and unrolled it to start prepping, i was confused on why it was cut all the way down, like a super duper long incision. all the way. I have never skinned a deer cape like that. so after measuring and it not being the right cape at all. Thanks for the xtra work western skies.

6. R.J. Meyer II

R.J. Meyer II Member

I guess when you use one of those big name tanneries like ..... wait , what was the name ............?? .....................Maybe try a large professional tannery such as WLG, H&H, Carolina, Sivco et..........I am guessing they would be more inclined to make it right or that the customer service would be better. JMO

7. Justin P.

Justin P. Active Member

After I read threads like this and others I kiss my fleshing wheels.

8. jimjones

jimjones New Member

well no shit R.J? the point of the thrread was to make others who use western aware of the problems last year. not for you 2 say who we should and shouldnt go to! JUST IN MY OPINION THO!

9. FIELD2FOREVER

FIELD2FOREVER The more I learn, The more I don't Know!!

Hmmm To think I was all geared up to send my stuff out to them this year. Perhaps this is a good time to rethink that Idea....

10. x2!

11. bowelk

bowelk Member

Sorry to hear about your problem. I no longer use them for many of the same reasons listed. On one particular occasion, they lost a pristine coues cape of mine. After too many calls to them going unanswered, I had the opportunity to speak directly to one of the owners who had come to Arizona to sell their services at out state show. He apologized out his ass, but again did nothing to refund my money or replace the cape they lost. I do hope all who read these threads heed the warnings spoken. God Bless and Happy Holidays!

12. alexm

alexm New Member

Justin turn it off first lol

13. Two Bison both slipped BAD.one elk its was ok one mule deer lost. Enough said.

14. Tim, did you get my PM?

15. FIELD2FOREVER

Sure did, thanks Kraig

16. FIELD2FOREVER

Just an update on these guys, I did go ahead and send a few of my capes to Western skies, They all came back with no problems, good stretch and shaved thin. I'll probably send them more this year and see how it goes, but no problems on my end.

17. Richard C

Richard C Well-Known Member

It's affectionately called "tannery roulette", everyone gets a chance to play it.

18. Nate G.

Nate G. New Member

Concept fur is pretty good. I've had a few gain some extra holes, but the tan is pretty good. Try to send them when Tom Shankster is there. When he is in Alaska guiding hunts, the quality goes down.

19. Hey Tim, long time since I've seen you on here. Glad to hear you are happy. Did they come pickup and get stuff back quick?
    How is your season going? Things are very slow here this year. Have you started that Bear yet? Don't forget to make the sack BIGGGGG

20. FIELD2FOREVER

I had them ship it out to me, but they still come around and pick stuff up and drop stuff off. Pretty slow here too, kind of the opposite of last year, lots of deer and no elk. I totally forgot about That bear sac, that was some funny shit lol. I haven't got going on him yet, but I'll definitely remember that now!! You gonna try to head to the show this year?