1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Pressure washer

Discussion in 'Tanning' started by whitemulley, Sep 17, 2010.

1. What is the min. psi pressure washer that can be used to flesh cape/hides.

2. msbraintan

msbraintan New Member

I think my last one was a 2400..don't think about doing any skins without the turbo nozzle and they are a special attachment and not just a colored tip. The one I got with the 2400 was 30. It was a direct drive. I blew seals orings on a bison skin. I did my homework, bit the bullet and graduated to a 3500 belt drive. It rocks. I just came in from cleaning up a bovine calf skin. Man those babies have extremely heavy membrane. I plan to make leather with the hand scrape power wash fleshed oiled and re oiled and pre smoked skin..i think it will eventually soften..they are a challenge and I have come very close with hair on calfskin so we'll see!!! I started out with a 1650 and those will just do small furs mostly.. Used them on deer skins but took too long.. The direct pump machines will only last for so many hours and so I went commercial cause I liked using them so much. Do this a long ways from your house and hope ya have a 5" well! Hope this helps.

3. Sounds good, tks.

4. cypresslake

cypresslake Jude Bordelon Cypresslake Taxidermy

I would try to get no smaller then a 2750 psi

5. I found that a 4000 psi works great for big game with the 4000 psi tip ,and you can turn the pressure down or just idle it down and use a 2500 psi turbo tip for smaller critters like coyotes and bobcat . I paid 899.00 for mine through Costco 3 or 4 years ago. It is a 13 HP Honda and is a Karcher Pressure washer.

6. wawa378

wawa378 New Member

I just fleshed a deer hide that I found roadkill and it was very fresh so I skinned it and this was my first time pressure washer fleshing and I did it in about 45 minutes and it would of taken 2 hours with a beam and knife. I'm only 13 years old. My pressure washer is only like 2500 psi and it came off quite nicely. If this helps..........

Mantei.........

7. Full deer hide takes me 5 minutes to flesh ;)