1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Taxidermy Today and Tony Finazzo

Discussion in 'The Taxidermy Industry' started by Greg Waite, Mar 7, 2007.

1. finazducks

finazducks EJ is not the only one to have two Wasco Awards

Nancy, I think that's why I became a life member too lol. Wade with your intelect you could be a great asset to the NTA. The association is, or should be, bigger than any one person. We need to keep good people involved. It's our association and we should conduct ourselves as it is. If I don't like a feature of my home I'll fix it or change it. I'm not going to burn it down. Wade you can fight to get your money back, but I believe you would be money ahead by staying and taking part in the changes to come. There are changes coming. Wade the new car idea is a good analogy but there is some difference. In ten years you most likely would not be driving the same car. Think about this. I paid $400 for my Lifetime membership from 1991 till now is seventeen years. 400 divided by 17 = app $23.50 every year I live the number goes down. Your membership is for life. The only car you will drive for life is the last one.

2. PWS

PWS Active Member

Bill, with all due respect, that's ludicrous. Sure, if they stop posting we won't see their feet (ok, foot) in their mouth(s), but at least they will answer the questions brought forth. How can you possibly believe that hiding behind sound bites/commercials/etc. is good for the process??

Free flowing discussion and question-answer dialog is the BEST thing for the NTA at this point... If the problems aren't seen, how can they be fixed?

Otherwise we just get the same old voting by name recognition. YEAH, that's working out QUITE nicely now, isn't it?

3. EJ

EJ Proud Member of: Unaffiliated, Free Agent

PWS the more you post the more I respect your "Thinkology"! Once again, I agree PWS ;D

4. Greg Waite

Greg Waite Active Member

I have to agree with PWS, without information you are leaving no other choice but for people to vote names. Been trying to tell ya'll that for a while. It can be done without tempers, which is the reason this got out of hand, but the membership cannot make a decision without knowing who and what they are voting for. In the past how would someone know who to vote for except by "Oh I heard of him"? I would really like to see a seperate post started with just the persons running and giving their beliefs on where they would liek to see the NTA go and how they are going to hel accomplish that. That is what this thread started out doing. Who is running for vice pres? I know Brenda Duvall is, but what issues does she want to see carried out? I think everyone could care less about how ling they have been married and how many children they have, blah blah blah. I would like to know the issues. How can we expect to make a good sound decision without that info?

5. PA

PA Well-Known Member

I agree that the 300 word short essay is entirely too short of a biography on each candidate and there certainly isn't much space for future plans. There are lots of avenues to explore to make your choice though. This post alone will give you information on the styles of the people in the race for the President, as well as a good feeling about how efficient the current system is. The postings on the minutes of the Board meeting in February, as well as November's meeting, if analyzed carefully will tell you who voted for various actions that you may agree with, or disagree with. The tape recorded message, while there were certain problems with the manner in which it was released, does tell you exactly how certain people act at a meeting. The Pennsylvania Taxidermists Association made a specific post giving their endorsements of candidates. The Board of the PTA has quite a number of taxidermists who have travelled around the country and met people like Brenda Duvall for example, and if a group of people with multiple contacts over many years can suggest her to be a good candidate, that endorsement, plus the board meeting minutes, is good enough for me. I wouldn't mind other states' boards coming out with endorsements, as some of the larger member states like Michigan and Wisconsin have many world class taxidermists. Remember, the NTA, even as it stands now, represents Taxidermy in the United States whenever outsiders look for a National Organization. If we don't elect a good board to represent us, we could end up looking like redneck trailer trash.

6. George

George The older I get, the better I was.

Suffice it to say everyone is entitled to their opinions. I respect the PTA Board making an endorsement, but I don't recall ever meeting any of them personally. From my perspective, I think it's a bit presumptious for ANY elected group to act as a spokesman for their state of diverse individuals. The National Chief's of Police certainly don't speak for me as a law abiding citizen when they seek the end of private ownership of firearms. The AFL-CIO came out in favor of Al Gore for President with him supporting NAFTA and the Kyoto protocol which would threaten to end many of their jobs . Though if the PTA Board had endorsed me, I'd be basking in the glow, but always the pragmatist, I'd wonder if the PTA Board is respected in the same way the NTA Board is. If that's the case, I guess there's still hope for me to continue my campaigning.

7. PWS

PWS Active Member

That's *exactly* how a REPUBLIC works...

8. Dan Gill

Dan Gill New Member

I think the NTA works the same way.

9. Greg Waite

Greg Waite Active Member

George if you don't mind reading below as it was presented. It was not the elected officials who made this decision, but voted on by the membership.

At the 2007 Pennsylvania Taxidermists Association annual convention, after a unanimous membership vote and much research and discussion by the Board of Directors, we are proud to release the following statement:

If I was running against someone who just had something like that announced, I'd have to congratulate him/her. I bet Tony is hopping with glee, for that is a big endorsement, especially how the PTA is the biggest associations and is growing, with high expectations and even higher moral.

George - I would never have given up hope and definetely keep doing what your doing for you campaign. You have helped many on here, myself included, and there is much appreciation for that.

10. Bill Yox

Bill Yox Well-Known Member

You guys are all entitled to your opinion, but I never mentioned hiding behind soundbites, etc. This isnt electing the president of the US either. At the rate this is going, neither one of these gentlemen is going to look like hes worth a damn by election time. To me, this isnt the time to strip these men to their skivvies and examine them. If we historically picked our voting board members so closely, we wouldnt have some of these issues now.

Did you ever see a group of crows mob a horned owl? That owl is a respected and feared predator, and he is able to hold his own against the individual crow, and maintains his dignity in doing so. But by the 5th or 6th rush, three and four crows at a time, even that awesome bird of prey starts to appear a bit disheviled. Thats my point.

11. EJ

Can't argue with that!

12. PA

PA Well-Known Member

"From my perspective, I think it's a bit presumptious for ANY elected group to act as a spokesman for their state of diverse individuals." I think Dan hit the nail with a hammer. The PTA has always taken a poll on major moves within the organization. The first association meetings I attended had a total membership of around 200 people, and now it has somewhere over 600 members. When I joined the NTA the first time, its' membership was somewhere between 2700-2900, but yet I read now it has total membership of around 2200. Inverse relationships if I ever saw one.

I agree that simply taking an endorsement isn't the best way to figure out how to vote, but as stated somewhere here, most of us have never met any of the candidates. It is not unlike a national of state election - if the Wall Street Journal endorses a candidate and the New York Times endorses another, if I don't have time to evaluate the people on my terms, I'll take my chances with the Journal. The board minutes offer a better glimpse anyhow.

Mr. Yox, I am not attacking anyone here, as I am very careful to tow the middle ground. People make their own judgements on who to vote for. I am keenly aware that the only way to improve the NTA is to elect dedicated honorable men.

There was a couple eye-opening things I saw at the recent PTA meetings. The people in the audience were asked to raise their hands if they were NTA members - very few did. Then they asked how many followed the Taxidermy.net activities - and EVEN fewer did. We may think our discussions here have an BIG impact on the future of the NTA, but in reality, I would guess that less than 50% of NTA members even know how to get on this site, or have the capability of viewing the site with their own computer. That 50% probably vote only on name recognition, which is the sad part - one should look deeper into the character.

13. Greg Waite

Greg Waite Active Member

Bill - I hope you see that I am not trying to mob anyone. I was trying to find out about Ton Finazzo and it turned into what it is. Granted I do have to take my share of responsibilty, I tried to keep this from getting personal until I felt insulted. I was trying to and still am trying to find out what each person running wants out of the NTA or what they want to contribute. We keep hearing about not voting on names, and to be honest on here George is the most famous, and I was trying to find out about Tony. Now I hear about Dan Gill, Brenda Duvall and others running for positions and would really like to find out about that. You seem to have the best interest of the NTA at heart, maybe you could act as a liason and get this info to us that want to know.

14. Bill Yox

Bill Yox Well-Known Member

Greg, George is an old school guy, passionate to the cause of a strong NTA, and he has a colorful, descriptive command of our language. Some call him insulting, I dont, he reminds me of my grandfather. Tony is a good man, comes from a place where things get done in a different style then where George comes from. Tony is a PEteacher as I recall, and is also passionate about a strong NTA. I know them both and I like them both. The NTA will be well with either guy. The crow/owl attack I mentioned had no names, but any cheap shot could be one of the proverbial crows. Greg, at times you seem to wanna showcase this election in an honest way, and Ill admit sometimes it seems almost like youre stirring the pot. Id like to say you mean well, but you and I both know how it simply depends on who is looking. Sorta like a half full or half empty glass. Lets just hope the NTA benefits from all this.

15. Dan Gill

Dan Gill New Member

Greg,
      as for me, I guess I'm out. I have got no answer, or response, except for 1 private email. My question is not worth the worry of the higher ups. anyway, Back 6 months ago. information appeared to be hidden from the membership. My goal was to bring information to the membership, and even nonmembers through Taxinet, If you didnt have the minutes, you had no clue what was going on. This appears to have turned around, from the taped meeting that some think was wrong. (maybe it exposed some things?) to today, alot of ground has been covered. there is alot of good information, and discussion on here. There are still alot of answers we dont think are correct, or we dont like. my stand has been, "Be proud of every decision you make, and everything you do, then you have nothing to hide". To me if the comment is made, "that isnt really information you need to know". something is fishy.
      as I mentioned earlier, I am in-elligable to run for the board of directors, because of the bylaws. but the bylaws dont say, I cant. but they will be followed to the letter. ? .!   
          Anyway my motivation was simple. to get as much information to you all as possible, to help build the NTA as much as possible, and help everyone enjoy their NTA experience. thats about it. our future leaders will do a great job, probably better, without my input.
      good luck to all,
        Dan Gill

16. EJ

Wow! What is it with you Bill's? One calls me dog poop now another calls me a crow! It wasn't a cheap shot! You said it therefore you must feel the same way! It happened to be a sentence I agreed with. If you have the time to waste you can track back and see that from my 1st post in this thread I've said that either George or Tony would make a great president because they both live and breath the NTA. I did stray a little when dealing with the other Bill, but that was brief. I do hate the fact that we can't have an open debate on here with out people getting PO'ed, but I understand it's a passionate subject. So we'll just have to deal with it the best we can and move on.

You know for the past year all I've heard on here is "You can't say anything about how the NTA is run because your not a member." Guess what? I'm a member now, so I'll have my say and when the election takes place I'll do my part to get the people in there to change what I have under my avatar. So let's leave it at that!

17. Greg Waite

Greg Waite Active Member

Dan - unless they just changed it, I thought I read your name on the NTA site. Maybe I am getting senile. And how does the bylaws say you are inelligible and yet not say it????? Maybe people should look a little closer at the bylaws. And I agree with your decision making quote, maybe if others had followed that there wouldn't be some of the issues ther are today.

Bill Yox- please don't get me wrong, I like both of them. And to be honest, I know George better than Tony. George has helped me a few times. I had never really paid any attention to Tony (sorry Tony) except one post before this one when I said he came across like a pompous a$$, other than that one time I never knew of Tony until I picked up the TaxidermyToday mag this month. I respect George immensly, for his knowledge, I wish some of the others didn't feel that he was too harsh but I can't control that. And I truly believe that the NTA has already benefited from this, there is more knowledge out there and with knowledge comes stregnth. Some may think that I am a stirrer, (and I know this will be misconstued) but I am just looking for answers and trying to decide how to vote. I am not satisfied with the current way things are being run and I have always said that, even before being a member. I have followed the NTA as much as I could from the sidelines and when I felt the time was right to join, I did. From where I stand it is so hard to tell who is or is not part of the "good ol' boys" and who is going to make the right changes for the NTA. Let's face it our profession can be portrayed as a bunch of red neck animal stuffers or we can bring it up to the professional standards that it should be, but we need to decide which way that we want it to go. We, that want the change, want info. so we can make the right decision. I hear it all the time, "eww, you stuff dead animals!", but I would rather hear "Man that is wild how you guys can do that!" and I think it is all about perception. I have seen a tremendous change lately, from interior design shows using taxidermy, to magazines, to the Discovery channel, to art galleries using taxidermy to go with paintings. I would like to see a Board that takes pride in being professional and doing what the members want. I also would like to see us doing what is just now starting to get done, working with larger outdoor organizations like SCI, to help us get the recognition and getting paid like we should. So if I need to stir a few pots to try and get us there, you bet, hand me a spoon.

18. PA

PA Well-Known Member

Gregg, Tony has been a participant on this forum for many years, and EVERYBODY knows George. I would suggest you spend a couple hours on the old forum, and type in Finazzo and look at some of his posts. While the old forum archives INCLUDES the recent posts, you can check the dates as they appear on the choices of links.

One of the interesting things you might do is type in the names of other people running for the Board into the Taxidermy.net. While I have not done it, I would guess some board members have never made one post. That doesn't mean they aren't good candidates, but in my mind, it gives an impression of how up-to-date they are with matters at hand. Also, if you get Breakthrough and Taxidermy Today, those people may have great articles in these magazines - being computer literate isn't everything.

19. jim tucker

jim tucker Active Member

Just to add my 2 cents....I would suspect that Dan would disqualified because......by being late with his dues he is not a "member in good standing" for 2 consecutive years. He was not a member for about a week. If that is the reason then he will have to wait another year at least. It is total BS.

This is just another reason the STUPID 100% mandate sucked. It placed your destiny in the hands of your state organization.....we all know how reliable "volunteers" can be....some are GREAT....some are....well, you know.

20. Greg Waite

Greg Waite Active Member

Jim I agree it wasn't through any error of his own that his dues were late. And seriously, is a week that vital? I know that I have been late with other payments. As a matter of fact I have to check my state association....