1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Dispatching a trapped coon

Discussion in 'Lifesize Mammals' started by tiresmoke216, Sep 23, 2010.

1. tiresmoke216

tiresmoke216 New Member

What is the best way to dispatch a trapped coon that you want to lifesize mount? Thanks Brian
  2. simpleyork

simpleyork New Member

-22 one shot through the heart
    -choke cord and a quick swing wth a rod

3. Conibear over the head works well no damage and quick.
  4. You're kidding,......right?
  5. bmdakk

bmdakk Report to moderator

depends on what kinda trap, if its a live trap submerge it in a drum of water.
  6. pyeager1

pyeager1 Active Member

Capow! .22 short to the top of the head! He will run in place for a few seconds is all. ;D
  7. I go with the catch pole cinched down tight and it's over quick.
  8. Cathy

Cathy N.E.A.T President

I hope you don't feel the need to drown it, there are much QUICKER ways to kill a trapped animal, as shown above. A 22 hole is small and easily sewn, if you choose it.
  9. This will work if you use one of the horse troughs for submersion LOL but another way is to get a heavy duty burlap sac...cover one end of the trap (the end that opens ) with it...open the trap, dump the coon in...tie the sack shut drop in a 5 gallon or 20 gallon bucket place a large rock on top of the sack in the water and wait for the bubbles to stop
  10. TomCat

TomCat Tommy B. <(((><

my sons pellet rifle shoots 1200 fps 1 shot behind the ear does it every time
  11. Brian

Brian Active Member

12. backstapwillie

backstapwillie 2011 Montana Bow kill

I quick rap to the top of the head with the back side of your trowel works for me. As long as hit him with the flat side of the shovel and not the edge there should be no damage. Unless you want to save the skull, then a solid 22short behind the shoulder would work. Seams like drowning one wood be more work than sowing a small hole.
  13. backstapwillie

backstapwillie 2011 Montana Bow kill

If its in a box trap you can put the trap in a big cardboard box and seal it up, then shove your trucks tail pipe in it. Shouldnt take to long, probibly just drift of to sleep. Wouldnt be any damage at all.
  14. bill@hogheaven

bill@hogheaven New Member

Anyone who is not shooting the coon is just play acting.
  15. Brian

Brian Active Member

guys. just get a 22 with a short or cb shot and shoot the damn thing. if your a taxidermist you better not be afraid of a lil damn 22 hole. there aint no way in hell im playing around with a caged coon just so i wont have to sew a tiny azz hole. coons may seem calm and scared but trust me they can turn into a wolverine really fast and bite without warning.just shoot the damn thing already!!!!!!!!!!!
  16. EA

EA Well-Known Member

I used to trap in my high school days.. I rode a dirt bike before school to check them. I didn't want to carry a gun on my bike. I used a bat. Short and Sweet.
  17. cypresslake

cypresslake Jude Bordelon Cypresslake Taxidermy

you can put the trap in a garbage bag and put the bag over the tail pipe of your truck, 1 minute gone coon
  18. boarhunter67

boarhunter67 Active Member

Am I sick if I'm finding some of these to be funny? I'm waiting for someone to come up with a more elaborate way like feed him food that is high in cholesterol. Just do the .22. The hole will be tiny and it's very humane.
  19. Patrick J

Patrick J You've got me mistaken for someone else

I'm betting you have never tried to choke out a coon. Good luck on the quick part. .22 in the heart is the easiest. It would be nice if they would let us stick them with a needle and inject acetone but the damn things always bite the syringe off
  20. Bill Yox

Bill Yox Active Member

I didnt read every one of these, just the last few, but Im with you Patrick. Just zip him in the chest with a .22, its quick, quiet and little damage. No grape jellyheads, no ugly stretched out head holes, just a dead coon done with respect to the animal. 8)