1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Bear skull help

Discussion in 'Skulls and Skeletons' started by Kurt27, Oct 2, 2010.

1. A buddy of mine brought me a bear that was previously done, well sorta. This guy charged him $150 to do his bear and he painted it this off white color. Well after a year it looks like hell. How do i get the paint off so i can start degreasing this skull without doing damage to the bone???

2. Here is just an idea that worked for me on a skull almost exactly the same.

First I started the degrease process with all of the paint left on. I put it in ammonia and water mix for two weeks at about 125 deg. After two weeks I took the skull out and rinsed it off. 75% of the paint came off along with a lot of grease. Then I took an old towel and began to wipe off the paint manually, while it was still was wet. It flaked off very easily. Now about 95% of the paint was gone. An overnight soak in acetone made it about 99% paint free. Plus the acetone still is clean enough to be reused. Two more weeks back in the degrease tank ( dawn and ammonia) took off the rest of the paint plus it finished degreasing the skull for me. Then I finished whitening the bear skull in peroxide.

I only had to do this once and it worked great for me. I didn't notice any further damage to the skull and the customer loved it.

Hope this helps.

3. Ammonia and acetone dissolve paint and glue.