1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

First Goose Please Give Feedback

Discussion in 'Bird Taxidermy' started by bowhunter444, Oct 4, 2010.

1. bowhunter444

bowhunter444 New Member

NJ
    Did this for a freind of mine it is my first goose. Can someone tell me what type of goose this is? I thought it was a blue phase snow goose but don't know with the red in the face, it also had real dark green feet not red. is it a hybred or did my friend shoot a farm goose he said it came in with a bunch of snows.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. I would say it's a blue phase snow goose and the orangey color on it's head is iron stains from feeding in the mud.

I would tone down the shininess of the bill, over all not bad

3. Nancy C

Nancy C Well-Known Member

It is a very young snow goose. Those are its baby feathers. It would have moulted and changed color quite a bit during the winter and following spring. See the white already coming in on the scapulars? The very pale tail says snow goose, but young intergrade blue geese can look similar in their overall color.
    The young ones usually have grey or purplish-grey feet and a variable greyish-maroon bill with a darkish tip, but they are in the process of changing at that age, and I have seen almost every color ranging from very dark to almost the color of an adult.
    As Daniel said, the brown on the head is mineral stains.

Not a bad job for your first goose!

4. Yes, it is a juvenile snow goose; and a repeat on the nice work on your first goose. The “black grin” patch (tomium, which is the ‘cutting edge’ of the birds bill), is diagnostic for the snow/blue goose, and most ross’s x snow hyrbrids.

The rust colored staining, as mentioned, is likely iron stains. These often can be removed during the washing stage with one of the many brands of fabric rust/iron removers available.

Michael