1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Back of the truck skinning fees?

Discussion in 'Deer and Gameheads' started by backstapwillie, Oct 5, 2010.

1. backstapwillie

backstapwillie 2011 Montana Bow kill

How much do you guys charge someone when they bring in the whole deer or bear and want you to cape it out for them.
    I used to do it for free but then oneday I thought what am I doing ??? Time is money!

2. Curt

Curt Family Life member of the NTA

if they bring it to me, I cape it . If I gotta go to them then they pay time and mileage.

3. Mirror Image

Mirror Image Member

West
    If I'm mounting it nothing, if I'm getting the cape for my personal use nothing. If they just want it done, then depends on the animal/ hourly rate.

4. George

George The older I get, the better I was.

Not a wise move in today's lawsuit happy era. If the guy gets food poisoning and someone suggests that your instruments were dirty, then what?

I ain't the butcher. The ONLY time I skin out an animal if for lifesize and even that gets a $150 added to it if it's bigger than a coyote. Guys with turkeys and fish who want to keep the meat get told up front, "If you want to eat it, take it home. If you want it mounted, it goes in the freezer until I'm ready and it's NOT going to be saved for your.

5. coonhollow

coonhollow Active Member

X2 agree 200%

6. Mirror Image

Mirror Image Member

West
    In all the years you been doing this, you've never caped a deer that your customer wanted mounted and they took there meat home. I find that hard to believe. You must throw there hole deer in the freezer. I would cape a deer out or any other animal for that matter if I had the choice instead of standing there watching the customer do it and screw it up. If someone gets food poisoning and blames me what do I say? I say prove it. I think thats a stretch even in todays era. I think I will take my chances.

7. Kevin M.

Kevin M. Active Member

If they want it mounted . I skin for free.

8. JBuresh@ICT

[email protected] Turkey Creek Furs and Wildlife Studio

$40 to cape a deer, never done a bear. Me and "whitetail Mike" did a crapload of em last year when a big group of out-a-staters were hunting with an outfitter near Mikes shop. they just need em caped so they could freeze em and take them home. we were doin 2-3 a day, and at $40 a pc, that was pretty easy money.

9. Mr.T

Mr.T Active Member

Free if it is for me,, and it always is. Only my customers get the service, all others pay. But have only done this once. And after I see what I get from the butcher shop, I'd almost prefer the customer to bring it to me first.

10. RoyalOaksRanch

RoyalOaksRanch Royal Oaks Taxidermy- When Quality Counts...

I dont charge my clients but others would need to pay for my time.

11. George

Mirror Image, what part of that didn't you understand. A lifesize deer still goes to the butcher. Now for family and close personal friends, I have caped out lifesized deer AND BEARS. If I was hired on as a SKINNER for an outfitter, that would be different, but I'm NOT skinning out any large lifesize animal IN MY SHOP or AT MY SHOP for a customer. I live in the Mid-Atlantic (near where the woman sued McDonalds for burning herself with coffee she spilled on herself AND WON). I don't live out in the sticks and hanging a buffalo from a scaffold anywhere around my shop would likely draw a crowd, the health department, and a cop. It is what it is, it ain't what it ain't. Don't try to make this into something it isn't.

12. I cape out whle deer all the time on the tailgate. I would rather make sure it is done correctly. Takes me 10 minutes if they help roll it over.

Bruce

13. coonhollow

coonhollow Active Member

I agree with George when it comes to fish if they want to eat it I won't mount it. when I was full time I had meat processing equipment and stainless work areas because I took in a lot of steelhead and salmon, I back then would skin them for a fee so they could eat it if they waited to take the meat with them. but I'm not set up like that any longer so if they want to eat the fish they are out of luck! as far as caping if I'm not mounting it it's $40 to take it off the carcass and head...$20 to take it off the head only, and $40 more to split and turn everything and salt. I wont skin for a lifesize for anyone unless I'm mounting it period..if I buy capes from the butcher they skin them to the base of the skull so when I show up all I have to do is take it off the skull they get the neck measurements for me and they are written on the tags when I get there. they do a great job skinning never any meat on the cape! and I have them trained that any cape I get from them is to the knees and half way to the hind quarters..all are good for a pedestal mount. short incisions...some for a half lifesize if I request it.

14. gab

gab Active Member

caping is part of the price.what i lose in time i gain by it being skinned right.if they want it skinned to the head to take somewhere else,$35 add $10 for off the head.$90 for skin flesh and salt.

15. mrdux

mrdux Member

My shop is next to a National Wildlife Refuge so a lot of out-of-towners hunt near me. I get $50 to cape, quarter, and cut the horns out and clean borax the skull cap. It takes me about 5 minutes longer to quarter the deer with a saw and they can then ice it down in coolers. They all appreciate that service. It doesn't happen every day.

16. You could counter sue for that tick that bit you that come off customers deer that he brought into your shop ! (PAIN & SUFFERING)
    If that dont fly then try, His horn poked you in the eye. Now vision is blurry. Sue for lost income due to poor vision. Both are just a thought. LMAO
    Come on people, what else can you think of to counter sue for ? Lets see your ideas.

17. George

buckfever, get real. Half the guys on here can't afford earliners and hide paste. Now who the hell is going to pay the retainer for a LAWYER? I'd bet less than 1% of the people reading this would even know the phone number of a lawyer without looking in the Yellow Pages. And a redneck skinning out a deer on the tailgate of a pickup truck????????????????ROTFLMAO

18. alexm

alexm New Member

Good one George :D :D :D

19. Mirror Image

Mirror Image Member

West
    George, get real! Your the only taxidermist I've heard of that won't skin a animal for someone. Lawsuit, thats alittle over the top, even for you.

20. Kyle Lakey

Kyle Lakey Active Member

This whole thing is kinda gettin blown out of proportion. If everyone is so worried about it put it in ur dang contract that you are not liable for any food contamination of any animal that you skin. It's kinda common sense that we are a taxidermy shop not a butcher shop thus you don't have any regulations a food processing place would need.... Anyways I want it skinned the right way, not by a customer who doesn't have a clue or a butcher who doesn't give a rip (there are some really good caping butchers out there tho). If you are not set up to do it like said with lifesize then sure do what you want and need but to turn someone away and tell them to figure things out and bring it to me when its skun seems counter productive and kind of limiting a service for customers. We are taxidermists. We know how to do it right and the way we want it done. I realize your a very successful taxidermist George so I'm not questioning what you do or what your set up to do. When it comes to small mammals and birds and fish yes, if they want to eat it they can shoot another one or not mount it but for big game I am more than happy when they bring something in to have it done right cuz they don't wanna screw it up themselves. It's a pain in the but spending ten minutes on the phone walking the customer through how to skin it out and answering all their questions and not getting paid when I could have done it myself in that amount of time... Basically I'm just saying people worry to much about being sued and if you are just cover your butt with ur contract. Simple as that.