1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Best Way to implement a Price Increase?

Discussion in 'The Taxidermy Industry' started by Ernie Ball, Oct 6, 2010.

1. Ernie Ball

Ernie Ball New Member

After many years at the same price I am going to institute a SUBSTANTIAL price increase for my shop this year. My fear is that a long time customer will come in with his mount and I say by the way, I'm $75.00 to 100.00 higher this year. I don't want to make a guy mad or surprised since he has being paying the same price for the past 5 years. I think a small price increase wouldn't be a problem, but a 75.00 to 100.00 increase on a mount is another story.

I have been told that I should have done gradual increases, but it's too late for that now. So, what would be the best way to let both old and new clients know the new prices without having anyone be surprised. I am hoping that the cheapskates go away and I keep my high end folks. Any suggestions would be appreciated. ( I am going to post the increases on my website, but I also don't want to have to explain over and over again on the phone. )

Thanks - EB

2. Paul C

Paul C New Member

Does your local gas station "explain" their daily or weekend price increases on fuel? Did your doctor or lawyer "explain" the increase in their fees? How about your plumber, or electrician? You don't have to explain anything and don't have to justify it either. It is what it is and some will pay it and some won't. It sounds like you don't need or even want the ones that won't so don't sweat it.

3. Uncle Harley

Uncle Harley New Member

just do it, Don't send out a flier. When they call tell them the price. If they ask tell them you held off as long as you could but had to. Make them think you were going to bat for them the last 5 yrs. I went up $50 this yr and when previous customers asked what is the price, I tell them they say ok. I didn't go up last yr and had some customers ask what is the price this yr and were suprised I didn't go up. Don't worry about it and just do your thing and do it well, the rest will come out in the wash.

4. Same here. I have held off on a price increase in 2 years now due to the recession but we are going up come the first of January. some clients are surprised that we haven't gone up in two years others, well, no matter how little you go up they won't like it. So wether you go up $10 or $100 per mount, some will bellyache, others will understand. You can't satisfy everyone and you shouldn't have to. Just satisfy yourself by charging what you need to in order to make a decent living . :)

5. gab

gab Active Member

6. jim tucker

jim tucker Active Member

+1

7. B Jones

B Jones Memeber of - NTA,UTA,AIT.Proud Member of NZTA.

8. x3456 and 7

9. Old Fart

Old Fart Active Member

My prices go up EVERY year. Some things more than others, but there is always an increase in most areas. My costs have gone up every year, so why shouldn't my prices? You need to go up about 5% every year just to keep up with increased cost of doing business. And what about giving yourself a raise now and then? On Sept 1st I raised my prices 10% for almost everything I expect to take in this fall. I plan on looking at my fish prices increasing at least that much next spring. My total work load was down last year and I do attribute that to the economy and the poor hunting seasons last fall. Since Sept 1st this year, my work load is up 60% over last year.

Unless you want to try and eliminate the price shoppers, I would suggest that you don't have your price list on your web site. Answer the calls and sell yourself and your product to the potential clients and don't even try to explain the increase.

10. My Dr. said his new Porsche was a lot higher than he expected so he raised his fees. I told him I did not want to make a payment on just buy a can of wax.

11. Eric E.

Eric E. Member

JUST DO IT!

Just like stated above I just let my customers know that unfortunately as my cost of doing business increases so does the overall cost of displays. It is a vicious cycle but they know that’s how it is in everything we spend money on.