1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

oops

Discussion in 'Bird Taxidermy' started by Diamondhitch, Oct 6, 2010.

1. Diamondhitch

Diamondhitch I hunt therefore I am.

Shot my first geese (Canadas) yesterday afternoon. I saved the biggest one, an 11 lber, to mount. I was going to save the other birds head to cast. I figured I would just pull the skin forward until it tore off at the beak. LOL I didnt know the beak was covered in skin!!! It stripped right to the tip. Oh well Im sure I can cast the head of the one I plan to mount anyway.

I am certainly a newb when it comes to birds.

2. redwolf

redwolf Active Member

LMAO!!! :D
    Next time take a scalpel and cut around the beak at the feather line and skin it back. Cut the head right off at the neck and your done. From what I understand you don't plan on using the skin so there's no need in skinning the whole bird out.

3. Diamondhitch

Diamondhitch I hunt therefore I am.

Thanks, thats the plan.

4. Fallofthewild

Fallofthewild bird brains

Yea I mounted a goldeneye last year, and when I was blw-drying it (with HEAT! I'll never go back) the skin on the beak started to peal off! EEw!

5. Just cast the head from the bird you are going to mount, skin it, flesh it, wash it and stick it back in the freezer while you cast the head. Just take your time while you are skinning the head