1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

CALLING ALL BASS FISHERMEN!!!!

Discussion in 'Fish Taxidermy' started by Travis Jones, Oct 7, 2010.

1. AA

AA Member

Ron you know that I am a flipping/pitching guy. I will be right next to you. I am pretty sure my $8 Snag Proof frog would get the same results. I think it is cool that Travis can make some easy cash in between painting fish. There is a market for this type of lure. It is called tournament bass fishing. It is the adddiction that if I can just catch that kicker fish on that lure that no one is throwing and the fish have never seen, I might win the tournament and some cash. It's only $55 and the justification and donations begin. It is a sick cycle but I love it.

Pat
    www.avianarts.com

2. RDA

RDA Well-Known Member

LOL :D Been there done that cycle.....That is exaclty why i would be tossing the jig and pig....and if desperate, an old bomber model A.....and of course the TWIST tail 5 inch kalin grub. ::) ;D and,,,,,a gitzit...

I have about ten boxes of those "latest and greatest" lures that i bought when they were "hot".....Most never felt the crimp of a bass lips... :D quote from Dee THOMAS " you should fish what you know how to fish"..... quote from Jimmy Huoston " HEEAAARRRWWW HAAAAWWWWWWA AAAHHWWWWWW EAARRRHHAAWAW" ;D Quote from Roland Martin "This lake should be drained!" :D

quote from Lloyd McQueen : "look for the hibachi 30 feet up in a tree!" ;D ;D

3. SwimbaitChucker

SwimbaitChucker New Member

I found out about this thread and felt I had to post a response.
    I purchased the muskrat pattern back in October. I can not get over
    how realistic this bait looks. It has great action and creates an usually large wake for a bait it's size. As far a working the bait I especially like walking the dog (like a spook) I can't do this with other baits of this type.

I have been a customer of Bills Bait and Tackle for a long time
    And he has sold me many swimbaits some costing over $100.00. When I heard of BB&T's
    Muit Mouse I did not hesitate as I have caught many bass in the 6 to 8 lb range on other swimbaits I purchased from BB&T's.
    In NewEngland waters fish this size are trophies.

In reference to Dave Smith's comment on this bait. I currently own
    a Nezumaa Rat several Rago generic rats including the sewer rat and the
    new dirty rat as well as a Bettencourt Rodent. In my opinion the Muit Mouse
    surpasses all these baits in overall design and the way it swims.

I am looking forward to fishing this bait next year.

-SwimbaitChucker

4. redwolf

redwolf Active Member

SwimbaitChucker, where in New England are you?

5. SwimbaitChucker

Providence RI fish mostly in mass.
    Thanks

6. redwolf

redwolf Active Member

We have bass bigger than that around here. I know a spot where you could catch them that size and bigger just over the NH line.

7. SwimbaitChucker

You dont want to argue NE Bass with me sir! Im up on this stuff and I can already tell that you're one of these guys who catches ten pound Bass on the weekends LOL Are you aware that a 8-10 is the biggest Bass certified in Mass this year?? I am. I've had two fish within a few ounces!

8. redwolf

redwolf Active Member

lol WOW! Actually, I was gonna send you directions right to the dock. I'm not looking for an argument. ;)
    I'm done here. :D

9. SwimbaitChucker

The dock ??? Lol

10. redwolf

redwolf Active Member

Forget it. Your obviously just looking for an argument. I was just trying to help a fellow New Englander.
    Have a nice night.

11. Kevin Halle

Kevin Halle Well-Known Member

Now you know why Bob!!

12. RDA

RDA Well-Known Member

ive cuaght about thirty bass over 8..,12,,15... ;D mostly on,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,jig and pig.....been around since bass themselves... :D

13. 7-Point

7-Point Active Member

that is very good to know SwimbaitChucker. What time of year is best to throw swimbaits?

14. FishArt

FishArt Well-Known Member

I'm sure catching bass that big on a regular basis has absolutely nothing to do with the 100+ days some of you guys spend on the water - lol!

15. redwolf

redwolf Active Member

Yup. I guess he's the only one around here that can catch big bass ::)

I like these. Mucho cheapero :D :D

http://reviews.basspro.com/2010/73982/berkley-powerbait-original-power-worm-10-reviews/reviews.htm

16. EA

EA Well-Known Member

Got to Go With RDA on the Jig N Pig.. I have one tied up at all times. The thing about the jig is ,The Quality of fish on a jig is normally better AND they usually stay hooked up. The downfall of a top-water naturally, is they have to biting top-water baits. A jig can be fished top to bottom and in all types of situations.. Versatile, Hard to beat.

17. Richard C

Richard C Well-Known Member

I remember the day on my first cast with my new $6.00 Rapala . I got a good strike ,tough fight, I thought something was different, the fish never jumped. Got it to the bank, it was a BIG snapping turtle. He reaches up and cuts the line with his toenail and swims away with my NEW $6.00 Rapala. I was pissed but if he had my new $55.00 Mouse bait I would have had to go in after it. I've been catching mice this winter in the house. I think I'll save them in the frezer and try them in the summer for bass.

18. FishArt

FishArt Well-Known Member

A jig is the most versatile lure on the planet. The only problem with a jig is it isn't "idiot-resistent" like many other lures where you can't really retrieve them incorrectly. With a jig, (obviously) YOU have to provide all the action. To be a good jig or plastics fisherman takes many years of practice and learning the very, very subtlle differences that make or break one's success. And there's SO many variables that you're always learning.

P.S. I don't even find bass challenging anymore. Walleye are my challenging specie of choice to chase!!!

19. redwolf

redwolf Active Member

I hate to say it, but I got bored with it. I used to live for bass fishing. I went every day rain or shine. But like you I didn't find it challenging any more.
    We don't have walleye here so I started saltwater fishing for stripers. In some areas we have northern pike, but they aren't as common as bass here. The spot I go to has some, but they aren't as big as they are in other states.
    Some day I would like to catch a nice musky though.

20. Jason S

Jason S New Member

Personally I would love to catch a big striper! Muskies can be challenging and are fun to catch, but pound for pound I bet the striper puts on a better fight. :-X
    I don't fish for bass much anymore either. but the big girls I belive are always a challenge, and a blast to catch!
    Travis, I hope your painting a ton of those lures!