1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Will work for training

Discussion in 'Training' started by mryoungtrapper, Oct 7, 2010.

1. mryoungtrapper

mryoungtrapper New Member

I live in sw Missouri and I am looking for some one to work under to train me in taxidermy. I know alot of the basic stuff.

2. I get a kick out of post asking for this. A little word of advise most taxidermist aren't going to view it that way. Most of us have worked very hard, spent many of hours learning the trade of taxidermy. Teaching it to someone else is very valuable and as you may already know expensive if you go out and find an instructor. So the trading labor for teaching probably wouldn't fly around most parts. It almost sounds like YOU'RE doing us a favor and in return you want the instruction for free. Here's a grand idea............pay for the instruction and offer to work for free to get some real hands on training.

3. duff83

duff83 what i have in my heart, ill take to my grave

it sounds hardly like the case, and i really think you need to lighten up... we all need to start some where. the kid is probably like alot of kids, who cant afford the schooling, there's really next to no financing available to some one who wants to go to taxidermy school, and hes just doing what he can to get into what he loves... so calm your self down, hop off the high horse and if you cant help the kid, relax and move along.

4. mryoungtrapper

Thank you, you are right.

5. cwt

cwt Active Member

The days of keeping everything a secret I thought were over. When I started almost 10 years ago I went to a local taxidermist and I didnt know squat about it. All I dead is called his shop and asked a ac ouple questions and he said to come on down he was getting ready to mount a deer at that time. I jumped in the car and was there in know time. we have kept in touch ever since. infact we help each other now all the time. I wish you were closer I would offer you the same thing.

6. redwolf

redwolf Active Member

X2!

7. mryoungtrapper

I thank people like you. I am also a trapper and that is how I learned. An older fellow tought me and if it hadnt been for him passing on his knowledge I would had never learned that great sport along with many others. I hope I can find some one to teach me a little more bout taxidermy. I do know some and have tanned many hides on my own and what not but I need an older fellow to show me the path.

8. Wildside

Wildside Active Member

Check with your state association also. They may be able to help.

9. Bill Yox

Bill Yox Well-Known Member

I get asked this same thing a few times each season. I politely decline. Does that make me a bad guy? Im simply too busy and not interested. My studio has a public showroom, but a more personal and private work area. I just dont feel Im under obligation to accomadate these requests. I do try to steer them to this site and to our state association, and I have done my fair share of public displays over the years at sporting events and schools. Am I an embassitor to taxidermy or just a real busy guy with no secrets, just no time? Ya gotta see both sides of these topics!

10. duff83

duff83 what i have in my heart, ill take to my grave

and we do yoxy... but the difference is, your not a complete dick head when declining... and you offer solutions and options other wise, as opposed to insulting and potentially driving some one away from the industry w/ a sour taste in their mouth.

11. mryoungtrapper

I will check more into my local assoc. I have checked there website for names of people kinda close to me. Thaks for everyones imput.

12. cwt

cwt Active Member

Understandable and no it doesn't make you a bad a guy it makes you a busy guy. And you offer alternatives. But the problem is when they come to this site with questions the get a response like the one above. Out of line and not needed here. JMO

13. Jerry Huffaker

Jerry Huffaker Well-Known Member

THe real problem here is , you can't work and be taught taxidermy at the same time. It's too time consuming to teach. You would be costing the taxidermist a lot of time and money. It's best to just pay someone to teach you what you want to know.

14. a7d1

a7d1 New Member

My suggestion is start by picking up a book and possibly a program that teaches via mail. There is nothing better than someone showing you in person but it doesn't sound like that is going to work out for you, at least not yet. Read everything you can and then realize that you will definitely make mistakes and hopefully as you proceed you will get better and possibly make enough money to send yourself to some hands on training. I started this way and just recently took some professional training. You can never stop learning in this trade. Everytime you think you have things figured out someone comes up with a newer and better way of doing the job. I will continue to train even after 30 plus years enjoying the art. If you were anywhere near me I'd tell you to stop on in. Good luck and don't get discouraged. Keep your focus on what you want to learn and not the struggle you'll have to get there.

15. mryoungtrapper

Thanks everyone for all the info. Sure dose look like Ill be learning alot on my own lol. I supose try try and try again but until someone comes along that can be a mentor Ill just keep practiceing.

16. Mr.T

Mr.T Active Member

Working for, and learning from, is not just couple of weekend thingys. To learn anything and get good at it takes a few years.

17. mryoungtrapper

Thats why I dont wanna just do the whole pay $1000 for 2 day thing cuz I know there is no way I can learn it all. Which is what I am striveing towrds.

18. Mr.T

Mr.T Active Member

You will still have to pay something, what you learn on your own, will only take you so far, sooner or later, you will have to pay for advanced lessons, a weekend here, a weekend there, seminars, mini competitions, the more you learn the more you will know, working for one taxidermist will only train you one way of doing things, his way. If someone hooks you into an apprenticeship, how will you know if the teacher knows anything but the old way to do things? Now if you joined your States Association, and rubbed elbows with three of four of the States best taxidermist,,, wink wink wink!

19. joeym

joeym Old Murphey

Come to the Southern Regional Convention in Memphis next March. There will be plenty of seminars that get down to the basics, as well as advanced seminars. Also, I'm sure that MO and AR both have excellent conventions with lots of good seminars. You will get more bang for your buck attending these than any other method of learning.

20. Boomer Sooner

Boomer Sooner New Member

I am also new to the taxidermy field and it is very hard for me to get hands on help. but i am learning and going to as many seminars and competetions as i can find. i have had some taxidermists offer me to come in and watch how they do things and i appreciate all the help i can get. i am in the ft smith arkansas area