1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Need advice on Bear Rugs

Discussion in 'Lifesize Mammals' started by D. Matthews, Sep 25, 2006.

1. D. Matthews

D. Matthews Taxidermist, Paramedic, Family man

Do any of you do your own rug work or do you send it out. In my area I get very few request for a bear rug and I really don't have the space needed to do them in my shop. I know most of you send them out to the tanner but what about mounting the head and the felt and padding. I live in N.C. and if anyone can recommend someone in the area or as close as I can get that does this it would be a great help to me. Or should I just suck it up and do it myself. Thanks for any help.

2. What we usually do is mount the head up and let it dry. Then we send it out to get padded and double felted. After it gets back I do the finish work on it. You may want to consider going that route. Probably will save you a lot of time, headaches and money. :)

3. The first two bear rugs I did were done by me. My customers were happy, but I wasn't. The quality was just not there. I had no sewing machine so they were hot-glued. That was my first year. The second year I decided to send them out. The difference was amazing! The quality was so much better and the finished product just looked way better. I send the hide to the tannery and when it come back I mount the head. Then it goes to the rugger. When it comes back from them, I do the finish work on the head. That's it. Less work for me, and a better mount. Some rugging companies will also mount the head for you, too. I live in Michigan and we are bear crazy up here, so its easy to find ruggers close by. My tanning is done by the Wildlife Gallery, and they also have a complete rugging service. Even if you need to ship it a few states away, with your space constraints I would send it out. I think the going rate around here is 34 to 38 dollars a foot for backing and double felting. Good luck!

4. D. Matthews

D. Matthews Taxidermist, Paramedic, Family man

Thanks yall thats helps me alot

5. KB

KB New Member

D. Matthews, you could check into Jordan's Bear Den, its in PA, near Punxsutawney. They do excellent work, and can either just do the felting part, or they will also mount the head to the rug shell for you. I don't have the contact info right in front of me, but I can get that and post it up tomorrow.