1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Pricing for a 1/2 lifesize black bear

Discussion in 'Lifesize Mammals' started by Southland Taxidermy, Oct 8, 2010.

1. mdupertuis

mdupertuis Active Member

I have done a few closed mouth 1/2 LS bears for $800 and I am definitely going to raise my price a little. To me they are a lot easier than a lifesize, but the materials alone just keep going up. I am probably going to go to $950 for a 1/2 LS closed mouth bear mount in the future. $800 for a LS is insane, and bad for those of us who actually want to make a profit adn run a BUSINESS!

2. George

George The older I get, the better I was.

Marty, thats still way too cheap. Do you mean to tell me that after you pay for professional tanning and the $200 to $400 form, a half lifesized bear is less work than mounting two whitetails? I know you're not doing $150/$200 whitetails.

3. mdupertuis

mdupertuis Active Member

You are right George..... folded and was afraid i wouldn't get any in. I am done being apologetic for trying to make some money for a good quality mount. The picture below is a bear I did for $1000.......about $500 too cheap.

Attached Files:

4. Donna1

Donna1 June 1965 Panama

The saying is "Work smarter not harder". I don't like that panic feeling when bills come due, or daughter asks for a more complex 'cello. I want to sit out in the evening and enjoy my husband's company, or walk the dog and not feel guilty, I want to sit down and have dinner, not wolf a sandwich down over my bench. ::) We all work hard...now get paid for it!

5. Its very possible. Got 2 life size in this year plus some rugs. I do my own tanning and base work is custom and inexpensive. Its not impossible. Sure maybe i don't make a mint, but the repeat business is well worth it. I just cant bring myself to charge huge prices. The price DOES NOT have to be high for quality. Its something i feel strong about so people can have something beautiful without gettin a*s kicked by wife! Think about it.

6. HOLMES

HOLMES Active Member

You cant do it for that and provide quality and make any money at all. Sorry................................

7. DT10Sam

DT10Sam No flow no go!

Mount it Taxidermy

I would be interested in seeing some of your work if you would be so kind to post some pics.

Regards,
    Sam

8. bowkill

bowkill New Member

Mount it my wife would be doing the @ss kickin when I was in the shop at 4am still doing work to catch up and she was laying awake wondering how we were gonna keep the power on. This a part time job for me when I finnally start taking customers and I am not about to take time away from my family to save some dumb @ss stranger from getting yelled at.

9. boarhunter67

boarhunter67 Well-Known Member

When someone tells me something like that I just laugh and say good luck with that, the same as when they tell me for that price they'll try to mount it themselves. Over the summer I mounted a ls bear that I shot. I used a changeout head and with the tanning, form, ears, eyes, changeout head, and a base I bought because I didn't have time to make it, I paid about $1000. My base ls are $1750 with no habitat but with an open mouth. All my half-lifesized animals are about 75% of a ls so a half would be between $1200-$1300 depending on the size.