1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

first mount (dont be too harsh!)

Discussion in 'Bird Taxidermy' started by jwbkeeper1, Oct 14, 2010.

1. First mount

Attached Files:

2. txoutdoors

txoutdoors Active Member

Use reference!!!! Looks like he has some balance issues. If this was a live bird, it would fall over forwards. I think you need to raise the angle of the body (chest up) and / or push the head back over the body to better balance the bird. Feet are to far apart and the wings need to be in the sidepocket. Keep trying....my first didn't look any better!

3. I agree, you also need to pull the tail up spread and place it in the correct location. Looks like you need to add some cotton or some sort of fill for the breast area. I also agree the balance is off and you need to do both reposition the body and move the head back more. Looks like you need to taxi the skin forward as well from the wings to the head. Also bend the legs at the knees a little so he looks more alive.

[​IMG]

4. Glass eye

Glass eye Active Member

Is the duck still fresh so that it can be adjusted as suggested, if not maybe for the next one you can post it up fresh and ask for critiques. It's the best way to learn.

5. on a good note the head looks pretty good

USE REFERENCE and try to duplicate what you see
    Like Glass eye said, if it's a fresh mount things can be changed to a certain degree.
    Keep at it, you'll get better as you go

REFERENCE, REFERENCE, REFERENCE

6. yes he was freshly done. I went back and got his balance right and that made a big difference! Fixed the tail and worked on the legs. I really appreciate the help it made a big difference on the mount. The main source of all the problems was that the mount was from a kit for teal and woodies. This was a bigger redhead than most anyways so that is the problem with the breast and tail i think.

7. B Jones

B Jones Memeber of - NTA,UTA,AIT.Proud Member of NZTA.

A teal and wood duck are by far much smaller, lets see the after picture

8. KAMoHunter

KAMoHunter Proud member of the WVTA

yeah no doubt B Jones. let's see those after the adjustment photos

9. Fallofthewild

Fallofthewild bird brains

The head and neck look damn good for a first timer!

10. rnviper3

rnviper3 New Member

marking to see the changed work. I'm about to get into doing my first duck. just gathering reference pictures so i an get started. but if it is like any other bird i have mounted its all about anatomy. you will get that part the more you do and the more you use your reference.

11. alan webfoot

alan webfoot New Member

I agree with fall of the wild,[head] by the time you get that curve to the neck settling it back onto upper breast or shoulder and lift those breast feathers to cover the wings raise the angle of the bodyit will improve greatly!! ,,the legs were attached too far back that makes them look like they bend at the knees like us [humans] can you undo the stitches and reatach??

12. TWinter

TWinter Winter taxidermy

ditto on the head, looks good, agree with other comments

13. Fallofthewild

Fallofthewild bird brains

[​IMG]

The leg of a bird is really not much different than that of a mammal. But notice that the foot is separated into 2 sections (the foot and the tarsus). It has a joint in it, unlike the foot of a human.

Everything below the heel is considered the FOOT!

Using that knowledge, you can see how similar a bird leg and a mammal leg really are! This really helped me when I was beginning birds and needed to understand the internal anatomy.