1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Real habitat or artificial?

Discussion in 'Bird Taxidermy' started by jwbkeeper1, Oct 15, 2010.

1. I have searched and searched the archives and I am still not sure on this topic. For you bird taxidermists out there do you preserve your own habitat or buy it? Just tryin to get an idea of what most people do. I find my own drift wood I am just wondering about dead leaves and such. Broomstraw, cattails, ect. Just looking to find out others opinions on this topic.

2. ElkinsTaxidermy

ElkinsTaxidermy www.ronelkinstaxidermy.com

Outside of dirt,pine needles, and the other drab stuff, I buy mine.

3. I buy stuff other than driftwood. I'm 3 miles from Lake Ontario so I walk the shores and find more driftwood than I care to see! Nice thing is I can get just the pieces I need for birds, etc. or even get a customize piece for a special mount.

4. txoutdoors

txoutdoors Active Member

I do both. I gather grasses and roots. I do this in the winter when it's all dead and mostly dry.

5. appreciate the help guys. so txoutdoors what ur saying is if it already dead its ok to add to the mount?

6. txoutdoors

txoutdoors Active Member

I have not had any problems. if your concerned with bugs, bag it and spray some raid and leave it sealed up a while.

7. will do appreciate the help

8. nate

nate Active Member

I use both. Whatever looks convincing to me.

9. Ittybit

Ittybit Member

IL
    I use both as well....might want to look into some preservative for plants sold in the taxidermy catalogs. Also check out the category for "habitat and exhibits" here on the forums

10. Glass eye

Glass eye Active Member

Whenever I'm hunting out of state or away from my local terrain I try and bring home dirt, branches, leaves etc from that area.