1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

this new redi-mount change out heads...

Discussion in 'The Taxidermy Industry' started by duff83, Oct 22, 2010.

1. Cole

Cole Amateur Taxidermist

You said it belongs in the replica division, not a division by itself. ??? There's more to competing with a replica than just painting one. (At least there is more to successfully competing than that) Personally I wouldn't care if I was competing against one of these heads. If you can't beat a newb throwing skin on this sculpture, then you weren't going to win anyway. JMO

2. bear_country01

bear_country01 Active Member

You win cole...

3. Cole

Cole Amateur Taxidermist

I usually do... ;D

4. coonhollow

coonhollow Active Member

must be he doesn't know you! lol I agree with you Cole there's much more to it than that!

5. inkyspal

inkyspal Member

GA
  6. Jimmy Lawrence

Jimmy Lawrence Well-Known Member

all you have to do is buy a fish replica and paint it/??????

COULD IT REALLY BE THIS EASY???????

Man, and to think all of us have been wasting all our time casting heads, fins, etc. Using custom eyes. Apparently, I will be buying an arp and painting it for my next show peice

BAAAAAM! instant blue ribbon.

:)

Great reference tool. Awesome job. Granted, it is a new and interesting topic. But think about this,

Way back in the day, people actually had to sculpt their own forms.....some still do. So in an essence, doesn't everyone "cheat" compared to what they used to do???

Taxidermy is evolving by leaps and bounds every year. You either need to get better, and use what resources are available, or shut up, and let the world pass you by.......

7. well i guess that vid shows how its mounted up :) looks Pretty darn easy. very interesting, maybe i'll try one out and see. i'm curious now.

8. jim tucker

jim tucker Active Member

Ok. These won't change a thing. Hacks still will not be able to mount a suitable piece. Just like they can't use a septum, membrane or earliners correctly. Let alone removing and reattaching a head... ::) ::)
    Taxidermy is NOT and never was about the PRODUCTS it's about the taxidermist.

9. fozziebear

fozziebear Active Member

All I got to say bout that is HMMMMM, guess I should have waited a couple more years to start taxidermy lol. Not sure how I feel about these. Dont plan on use'n them, seems too expensive, like others have said pry a good ref peice to have around the shop and maybe someth'n to play around with IF ya find some down time lol!

10. bear_country01

Did you NOT understand what the hell i said ??? I am not talking about MAKING a replica ( THATS HARD TOO DO ). I'm talking about the ones you buy off the shelf and do a little finish work and paint it. THIS IS NOT NOT ABOUT REPLICA FISH SO STOP TWISTING THIS WHOLE THING. My whole freaken point was about the change out head. I was just simply voicing my opinion about how this may be a cheating tool for Competitions.

11. Whitetailart

Whitetailart New Member

OK so we need a new category for WT Deer.

Wt. Deer Replica Category.
    Any deer mounted using artificial parts not made by you like replacement nose ,ear liners, septum's, ear butts, eyes, forms, Etc

Is that not the Masters Category ?

12. Doug Motgomery

Doug Motgomery Active Member

LOL..................That is true..

13. coonhollow

coonhollow Active Member

Masters at the world show you need to make your own ear liners / parts..unless its changed! I don't think these should be allowed in masters even at a state level but I'm sure that would never happen

14. bear_country01

Go ahead and blow this thing up ! How in the hell is a person supposed to learn taxidermy the right way if he or she has all the crap handed to them on a silver platter. If you BUY a complete head with all the fixins than you have a ready made deer head.Maby good for the Costumers but not a Comp !! Even than it would not be your work but of someone else . This item is Good for only Referance. Sorry Rick. Look at the T.A.S.C.O..C.A.D From Rhinehart .He put the CHEAT CHEAT in Taxidermy right up front.

15. coonhollow

coonhollow Active Member

How do you figure that? I doubt Dan Rhinehart held a live deer for the CAD designer ,,all that is CAD from them is they only had to sculpt 1/2 of the deer the cad program made the opposite side a mirror image. It is still someones depiction of sculpting a deer and they still blow! Ricks head is just that his depiction of a whitetail...But at least Rick has a clue!

16. bear_country01

Rick's work is AWESOME and he knows his stuff well.

17. psycho

psycho 2011 WORLD CHAMPIONS!

I don't care if they use them for comps. I use ear liners, replacement noses and eyes already just like most. Who cares if they use it for a comp piece, if they use it and you still score higher than them why would it matter. If you don't score higher than go back to the drawing board.

You would never see one in the Masters unless Rick would use one himself since he is the sculptor.... ;) No different than Jody Green, Gene Smith or Joe Meder using one of their own forms and getting the extra credit for the sculpting..... ::) ;D

Use them all you want. I'll still compete against them.. No big deal... Great job Rick... ;D

18. Whitetailart

Whitetailart New Member

The way I see it is the people that are complaining about this head the most at competitions.
    Are the ones that are not comfortable with the work they put out.

People need to stop worrying about what others are using and in commercial and Competition work.
    Do your best and if its not enough try harder next time.

19. Doug Motgomery

Doug Motgomery Active Member

I can see them being used in amateur or pro division and yes some one will use them in masters to I'm sure, but there is a whole lot more going on in the masters division than putting the Redi-Mont parts.
    But it is no diffrent than using any other products that helps you out in compotions.

20. Whitetailart

Whitetailart New Member

Yes people are going to use them guaranteed in all categories. No different than using ear liners, septum's,eyes,etc
    It is just going to make you step your game up.

Its not going to work on commercial work as it is sized to meet a small amount of deer. 71/4" E to N. The deer I mount range from 5 1/2 to 8" E to N I would only be able to use it on a small amount of of my deer. So the hacks are only going to mount some of the deer on it not all.