1. Welcome to Taxidermy.net, Guest!
    We have put together a brief tutorial to help you with the site, click here to access it.

Painted bear skull

Discussion in 'Skulls and Skeletons' started by Kurt27, Oct 22, 2010.

1. Ok so im fixing up this painted bear skull this guy brought me. Ive had it saoking in hot water and amonia for about 2 weeks and the paint is so thick, very little has come off even with scrubbing. My question is - can i mix acetone in a 5 gallon bucket of water and have good results? As you most know how expensive acetone is i dont wanna use it in water if im not gonna get the results and i dont wanna buy enough straight acetone to completely submerge this skull in. By the way, you should see all the grease thats come out of this bear. Whoever did this job should be ashamed of their work. They literally beetle cleaned it and painted it. Charged him $150!!!!

2. Jeff.

Jeff. New Member

Try the acetone. You can use ziplock bags filled with water (or screw top plastic soda bottles, or...) to displace some acetone. The acetone will work better than ammonia to remove paint. it sounds like you might want to go straight acetone, but if you want to try a weaker solution first, that's up to you.

3. Vkvz

Vkvz New Member

I don't think using ziplock bags or plastic bottles is a good idea, since the acetone will probably dissolve them. By the way you can't keep acetone in most plastic containers for the same reason. You have to use glass, metal or polyethylene (look for the number 2 inside a triangle on some plastic bottles).
    You could also use white spirit to remove the paint, and you can keep it in a plastic container.

4. Jeff.

Jeff. New Member

Good point. Completely forgot about that. But, keeping the acetone in a plastic bucket is fine. Mine has been in an orange Home Depot bucket for years with no ill effects.

5. Sea Wolf

Sea Wolf Well-Known Member

Buy straight acetone and add it to your cost. Put it in a 5 gallon paint bucket from the hardware store. Get the skull in there with at least 2 or three gallons of it. Let it sit and the paint will come off as well as loosening up the grease. After a week, flip the skull over and let the other end sit in the acetone. The fumes built up in the bucket will also be enough to loosen the paint and soften it. Try not to leave big chunks of paint in the acetone. When you are done, you can use it for other skull projects.

Spend some cash, do it the right way and impress the guy. ... And shame the other that did the crappy work. It is also possible, that the cleaner "offered" to degrease and go further at an increased cost ... and your friend refused.

6. In walmart, craft section, little glass balls, kinda like marbles.
    put skull in bucket, fill the remainder with the marbles, then fill with acetone.

7. staffs-skeletons

staffs-skeletons www.skeletonsUK.com

UK
    Thats a good way of saving acetone. Never thought of that!